united carriers

Wheel Nut:

kevchalluk:

Wheel Nut:
Say Hello to Kenny for me :stuck_out_tongue: He maybe wont remember me because he never stopped running round York with Micky Robinson as his ■■■■■. I ended up with Roys lad as my ■■■■■ on Hull 1. I also taught young Andy the ropes, he was related to Kev Archer.

I am trying to remember Jocks son in laws name, (maybe Pete) but seem to think he worked for Brian Leighton Garages at the time.

what’s your real name Wheel Nut and when were you at Carriers? Yeah, I still see Micky Rob around Howden from time to time. I think it was Trev Appleyard on York 2 as my dad’s oppo, but I don’t think they got along! :laughing: I’ve got some great memories of dashing round York like a blue-arsed fly with my dad - quite often if we were doing drops to shops in the city centre he’d give me a couple of parcels to carry on my own with the delivery note to take to one shop while he loaded the barrow up to take elsewhere! I was only about 8 or 9 and was dashing into shops shouting “sign this love please” :laughing:

Pete’s son-in-law is Pete Ullathorne, not sure if he worked at Brinny’s but he is (was) a mechanic. When I started at JEM he was their in-house mechanic, servicing all JEM’s own wagons. Now they’re a proper Nightfreight franchise everything’s contract hire and Pete is an area manager or something!

Hiya Kev. My name is Malc.

Pete Ullathorne worked for Majestic with Pete Hoier iirc. Terry Appleyard was there on my second tour of duty and you are correct, he did York 2 after Jeff Hardcastle had his smash and buggered his leg up. When I was there, Rowley Mounser, Bob Sherburn and Jim Hargove with the Thomson Twins were on class one with Glynn Coggan as union man. How is Les Underwood? Jules was in the office with John Carney, Mick Booth? from Snaith, the best planner in the world, he couldn’t drive but sorted every drop out and they were always in perfect order. Jules then went on the road and was doing DDM into Hull. I went on night shunting doing opposite shifts to Jimmy Hargroves.

I heard John Lindlay died, he was a decent bloke once you got on the right side of him though many drivers never got there. I have quite amazed myself remembering a few names from 30 years ago, here are some more for your Dad and Jock. Mick Patrick, Clarrie Wilson, Charlie Taylor, Terry Griffiths, Mick Forster, Trev Egan, who is often found in Lockerbie on a Monday & Thursday night. Des Gardham did West Yorks. I remembered Roys name, I think it was Roy Bowles■■? who did Scarborough, and it was little Kevin who I took to Hull when I took over Hull 1. He eventually took over the KM drawbar that I drove on Lincoln 2

Brian Alflatt did Bridlington, Bodie Watson was on Grimsby, The bloke who had Howdendyke pub worked there as did Discount Don.

These should keep your Dad and Jocks mind ticking over while they are growing carrots and pottering in the potting shed. Tell Jock there is a bloke on this forum called Willie Mac who has asked after him. :wink:

I was meant to go up to Gilberdyke today to a funeral, as they were burying one of Mike Darleys elder brothers. :frowning:

I remembered some other names, and it has kept me awake thinking of them all now. I hope your Dad will read your lists and help me with my insomnia :wink:

Drivers
John Harding
Adrian■■? ex Army lad from Old Goole
Jim Alfons Vikmanis - Gentleman - RIP
Tony (Bodie) Watson
Brian ■■? Another Brid man. From Rawcliffe I think
Roy Bowling not Bowles
Kevin Bowling - likewise
Hell I remember the coloured route planning board like it was yesterday

Garage
■■■■ (let it Develop) Foreman
Jim Winterburn - Fleet Engineer
Chris Newman - Trailer repairs
Tony - Bodywork and paint

Office.
Margaret Taylor, nee Smith before Charlie got his grubby mitts on her :stuck_out_tongue:
Julie Wraith, Still single, still in Eastrington I believe

Supervisors.
Barry Moverley
John Burnett
Tom Underwood
Dave (Army Driving assessor)
Dave Ellwood (Electrical supplies) Larsen Road.

You will have me remembering all the post codes and trailer sorting codes next, I seem to remember H was Gretna, L was Hertfordshire, :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :blush: :blush: No forget that, it was over 30 years ago :stuck_out_tongue:

Caerphilly probably made more sense with C as it was right in the far corner past the cage.

Sunday Morning Union meetings in the Burlington Hotel on the corner of Alexandra Street and Burlington Crescent. Mine Hosts, Reg and Susan Darragh :laughing:

Christmas drinks in the Board Inn with Wolfgang Peter Stichler