united carriers

Hi Malc

Cheers for all that, I’ll print it off and show my dad over the weekend. Some real blast from the past names there. Pete Hoier still works at Brinny’s, he’s bodyshop manager and a mate of mine through mutual friends. Jeff Hardcastle still lives in Howden, I still bump into him from time to time in the post office but he’s looking really old and ill nowadays.

Les Underwood was depot manager during the time I was going out with my dad, think he still lives in Howden too. I’ve not seen him in years, not sure if my dad has. I didn’t really know John Lindlay, but I thikn him and my dad were good mates - probably due to fact my dad had been there so long.

I remember Terry Griffiths too, and Clarrie, and Roy Bowles and his lad Kev. Still see Kev in Goole from time to time, don’t think he knows me though. Most of the names are familiar just from my dad talking about them and from Saturday morning trips out and when I was really young. It was good back them cos I used to be able to go into the yard and warehouse and it was the best thing in the world for a truck-mad nipper like me! :smiley:

Later on though, from being about 10 to my early teens, Carriers banned drivers from taking passengers so my dad used to drop me in town while he went to get the wagon and i’d walk up to knedlington crossroads where he’d pick me up!

My dad’s a technophobe so there’s no chance of him coming on here, so I’ll communicate his responses if he’s got anything to add! :laughing:

By the way, what years did you work in Howden and what’s your surname? Sent me a message if you don’t want to mention it on the public forum…