18 year old lgv drivers

I voted ‘yes, but with restrictions.’

My reasons are (IMHO)

1. It would be unfair to completely deny all 18 year olds the opportunity to get a qualification and a foot on the career ladder.

2. It would be unrealistic and possibly unsafe to give complete carte blanche to 18 year olds to drive any and all LGVs, even if they can pass the driving test, because accident statistics speak for themselves.

If 18 year olds who really want to pursue truck driving as a career are made to wait until they’re 21 to train for an LGV licence, they might find another career whilst they wait, and they might be lost to our industry. On the other hand, if there were a structured approach designed to ease youngsters into the industry step-by-step, we’d have new entrants who could see career progression and have something to work towards.

But that would require the use of a panoramic view and joined-up thinking from government. Oh well, maybe one day. :grimacing:

By the way chaps, this was in the OP and some of us appear to have missed it, so I’ll make it a bit bigger:

instructorone:
Please post all comments about this, giving permissions or not at your earliest opprotunity please.

instructorone may use my comments in a meeting with any MP of his choosing. :smiley: