W&D Training Diary - Now PASSED! YAY!

28th September

So this is it…my last lesson before THAT day, and I’m pleased to say that everything that could go right did. No issues with the gears, now selecting the gear as a roll up towards the hazard. This then gives me maximum time to assess and assess again, keep the wheels rolling, position correctly, check everything off in the mirror and if needed drop the button if required.
We leave Hednesford and go fill up before heading back along the motorway up towards Stafford North.
Managed today to complete the same route I took for the rigid. I thought it was tight then but oh my days :exclamation: it’s even tighter now. Easy case, drop the speed and feed yourself through the tight islands and constantly check yourself in the mirror (the truck I mean not actually myself :grimacing: ) and down towards what is known as Dead Man’s Curve. Here the signs both on the side of the road and on the tarmac says DEAD SLOW. Now in a car that’s good but for a truck you need to be 69 feet under kind of slow. Even worse if you come across another truck coming the other way. Which of course had to go and happen didnt it? But came through it and that gave me a boost of confidence as it happened at the worst possible time. Then its back through Stone (again tight but manageable as long as you watch you speed and position) and off to the Cafe for a beautiful bacon sandwich. :smiley:
Shortly we are off to the reverse pad, me I was yearning for another Bacon butty. :smiling_imp: :laughing: As we pull up all the bays are in use :unamused: :laughing: , so quick couple and uncouple just to run back through that which again leave me in a positive mood. Complete 4 reverse’s which go great, finished a little short on one, jumped out and checked it and then nudged it back as required.
Then it’s back towards Stafford before heading back down the motorway and back through Cannock centre back to base. On the way I’m told that if…IF…the worse should happen tomorrow then I won’t be given any more lessons, simply because it will either be something stupid in a panic moment or some … person … who decides to take the licence off me. This leaves me actually feeling positive, because I have been driving, generally, to the standard required to pass the test.
Now coming from a rugby background :blush: I only have a typical adage in my head, body in the oven head in the freezer. Simply because for one hour of my life tomorrow, I must be alert to everything that is happening around me both in front and behind. But I must never panic.

Here is hoping to a good result tomorrow where I can hopefully officially join group.

Until next time folks…