W&D Training Diary - Now PASSED! YAY!

26th September

Not much to report today if I’m honest. Reverse is now getting better and will only require a brush up over the next couple of days until test on Tuesday. I’m now able to read where the uni should be, where the trailer should be and what they both should be doing. I’m now understanding when to take a shunt and what to do in the shunt to make life easier when I come back. Yesterday on the first couple I would take a shunt and end up back where I started, but not today thankfully.
The couple and uncouple is also going great. The only difference to the BLANK or BLACK mentioned on the site is that, Chunky has me put the number plate on when giving the ‘new’ trailer the once over on the checks like. Can understand his thinking and ultimately before I’m happy I have the mental image of BLANK in my head and I make an habbit of ticking each letter off.
Ah mentioning the daily checks on the trailer. For those that have read yesterdays installments about the trailer door being robbed, it has been bettered. On inspection on the corner upright :open_mouth: …there’s only a birds nest. Now I wonder if, seeing as I’m driving a HGV if I can also do my PSV seeing as I’m carrying passengers? :grimacing: Of course I joke I mind.
On the way to and from the reverse pad, we do part of one of the test routes. Both ways in the end along Sandon Road. The morning rush hour made it fun when you reach the end (Beaconside) you have no option but to wait until there is a space big enough to pull out off. Ultimately you will be going across both carriageways which dictates that you will need a space big enough to get through. The reverse of the Sandon Road thankfully brings no trouble. Now this road, where you turn off Beaconside onto the Sandon Road, brought me nothing but trouble in the rigid. However due to the size, it has to be approached as stop before proceeding, cos you will need to rob the opposite side of the road. Felt pleased with myself along here and for the day over all.

The only downside of the day, came on way back from reverse pad. Coming along the Eccleshall Road back towards the motorway. Oncoming truck on one of the bends. I knew full well I would end up brushing the trailer wheels on the kerb and I did. Now this may sound stupid, but weirdly enough I’m happy that I did it. It suddenly wakes you up to the length and width of the vehicle and therefore it is now out of the way and done and dusted.

I’m still happy and loving it and as confidence grows bit by bit I’m loving that little bit more and ultimately push myself that little bit more also.
Now tomorrow is a whole new ball game…Town driving. Just running over the same old test routes that we did in the rigid but now with a all be it slightly bigger vehicle…just slightly. Major respect for still for those already doing it
Right i’m off to tuck into more Jaffa Cakes and watch a bit of Neighbours before an early night me thinks.