Dangerous goods advice- UK regs and ADR

dieseldave:

Wheel Nut:
This is the biggest railroad known to TruckNet UK but rather than start a new thread I have used this one. :wink:

My question relates to carrying Methanol UN1230 and has the same basic properties.

UN1230
LQ 0
Transport Classification 2

We use the Methanol for racing and need to carry it in the van to race meetings, the cheapest way is for a few riders to club together and buy a 200 litre drum. Obviously it falls under the 333kg limit, so am I correct in advising the team that they do not need anything other than 1 x 2kg dry powder extinguisher?

I would also surmise that the occasional sea journey would use the same rules as above except for a class 3 placard.

Sorry about the diversion, choo choo :smiley:

Hi Malc,
No probs using this topic for your question, because that’s how it was set up by Site Admin. :smiley:

Written correctly, what you’re carrying is:
UN 1230 METHANOL, 3(6.1), PGII, (D/E)
ADR Transport Category 2.

The primary hazard is that methanol is a flammable liquid (Class 3) but it’s also toxic enough to require a “toxic” secondary hazard label, hence the 6.1 in brackets. Both labels MUST be shown on the drum(s.) The (D/E) in the brackets [ADR tunnel code] must be there but isn’t in force just yet.

In the best traditions of this programme, here’s one I prepared earlier… :grimacing:

You’re absolutely spot-on in that the ADR limit for methanol is 333ltrs, but I’m wondering whether it might be a better idea to use 12 x 25 ltr drums/jerricans = 300ltrs, which just fits neatly within the limit for not requiring orange boards etc. Just an idea to allow you to carry more fuel. :wink:
Is 1x 200 ltr drum sufficient fuel for your team’s needs?

You’re also correct that 1 x 2kg dry powder fire extinguisher is a requirement, but please remember that it MUST be fully ADR compliant. The drum(s) must also be fully compliant in terms of bearing the correct UN approval and packaging code AND must be correctly secured against all movement whilst on board the vehicle.

The package code will be a minimum of:

In order that you don’t get problems with IMDG (they can be very fussy :wink: ) I’ll stick to what types of packages are acceptable by both road AND sea for the carriage of methanol…

The drum(s) can be metal (1A1) or plastic (1H1,) but must be the fixed head ‘bung’ type.
Max size 400ltrs
(Clip tops ARE NOT allowed eg. 1A2 or 1H2)

Jerricans (elliptical cross-section) are allowed eg. steel (3A1) or plastic (3H1) max individual size 60ltrs.
The part of the code for drums/jerricans with the red arrow can be an “X” or a “Y,” but NOT a “Z.”

For the sea journey, under IMDG, you’ll need 3 x Class 3 placards and 3 x class 6.1 placards:
…
These are 250mm x 250mm minimum size.

You’ll also need a multi-modal DGN. I’d suggest that you only apply the placards to the vehicle once you’re in the docks and that you ensure that they come (fall :laughing: ) off just as you’re coming off the boat, because they aren’t needed by road. :wink:
BTW, IMDG doesn’t regard methanol as a marine pollutant, so there’s no need for the triangular fish signs.
Under IMDG, methanol is in their stowage category “B.” (Clear of living quarters.)

Labelling
If the drum(s) / jerrican(s) are labelled as in the top picture, then that will comply with ADR and IMDG, because the two required class labels are present along with the UN number and the Proper Shipping Name (PSN.)

By road (ADR) there needs to be the UN number (plus the two class labels) on the package(s.)
An alternative method for displaying the UN number is a label like this:

IMDG requirements for labelling are the same as ADR, but with the addition of the PSN.
An alternative method for displaying the PSN for IMDG is a label like this:

If the PSN is shown on packages during road transport, then that isn’t a problem, it simply means that the packages exceed minimum labelling requirents by road.

I’d not bother with the channel tunnel if I were you… under their Regs, methanol is banned :open_mouth:

I can help with obtaining the correct packages and labelling (at cost price) and with the preparation of the correct DGN if you need. (My own DGSA service and DGN is a freebie in your team’s case. :wink: )

I hope that helps. :smiley:

I was today suitably admonished for my rudeness in not thanking Diesel Dave for his time and energy in compiling this reply.

Thanks Dave, but the horses head and the juxtaposed fonts on the threatening letter were slightly over the top :laughing:

Absolutely first class information though. Cheers… Sorry I didn’t see it earlier, we just ripped the labels off and told them it was water for dampening down the dusty track :stuck_out_tongue: