My Training Diary...Now Passed! YAY!

20th August

What a difference some 20 hours makes.

Now before i start i will openly admit that i did make a couple of errors…however, unlike yesterday i didnt let it eat away at me and i found myself learning from those few errors.
Started off by leaving Hednesford and headed for Wolverhampton via Cannock. No major issues to be honest, and not many at those dreadful islands now in Cannock. I’m actually finding myself approach the islands with plenty of time, slowing nicely on the approach, checking mirrors constantly and allowing more space during these manoeuvres. Tell you what; it’s so simple once you start to apply this attitude of giving yourself time whenever possible!! Probably should have learnt to remember that myself. The rest of the drive into Wolverhampton goes past and now seems like a blur. My first driving fault occurs as we approach wolves. A tight right turn at traffic lights see’s me mount the kerb with one rear tire (however a mount is a mount!) I knew full well as I was steering round that it was going to happen due to me not sticking left as much as possible. It really does ■■■■ when you sense it is going to happen and how to avoid it in the first place. However, nothing hit, just dented pride, a quick deep breath and chalks it up to experience. I’m pleased to say that was the only time I mounted the kerb. I brushed the kerb only once in the reminder of the drive, (simply carried a bit too much speed into an island on a decline).
But I’m pleased after these couple of incidents I’m reading what is happening in front, no more kerbs, keeping the truck going into an island (whereas yesterday I would have stopped and then gone, not today), actually threw in a couple of block changes to get to top gear :sunglasses: :smiley: Overall there’s a party going on in my head, I’m loving the drive and totally love being out on the road getting in some tight turns. When approaching in a car they are fine however it’s in the truck you notice that the kerb for the last 1-2metres cuts into the road. But like I say, today I’m constantly living in mirrors, slowing speed, selecting the correct gear (most of the time) and everything begins to fit.
I’m now beginning to select the correct gear for pulling away both up hill and down.
Soon we are on the way back to home and every goes well until some 3 miles away from base when I’m asked…’turn right at the next island, 3rd exit…’ However, I screw up and get into the left hand lane (of two!) worse thing was on the approach I’m scanning the junction and the instinct was telling me to get into the right hand lane…however I went against it!
Quickly we are back to base and have an extra 30mins to spare as there was no traffic on the roads! So decide on a hill start to end the lesson, seeing as overall I’m quite happy with the way it has gone. No problem what so ever, and I’m actually liking hill starts. I’m happy to leave it where I did (lesson wise), could have continued on to the next roundabout but I’m happy to leave it on a generally good note rather than mess up last minute.

End the lesson when having the usual debrief which is really positive. Ken is happy with the way I have improved since yesterday, even right down to going into 5th and the gear doesn’t engage so being patient not panicking…dip clutch out and in with the gear. Obviously hope for test that doesn’t happen but its nice to know IF it does then I’m not going to panic and I can rectify the situation. Personally, overall, I’m really happy with the day went. I can actually see myself that I’ve progressed a lot since yesterday. Looking back the assessment drive was simple due to the open roads. Now I’m driving nitty gritty roads and I’m pleased with how they are going.
Also I now know that there are actually two 4:30’s in one day…SHOCKING! :open_mouth: !! Also the amount you sweat thru nerves or heat would actually have solved the problem of the Mzima Springs (Wildest Dreams BBC1 last night). Finally Jaffa Cakes, after all these years, are still my friend when it comes to avoiding the hunger! Tomorrow should see me, go Swynnerton test centre and then the routes involved. Also personal little battle…NO KERBS!!
Also just a quick mention for Andrew (if he is on here) who had his test today…hope you passed fella!
Until next time folks…