My Training Diary...Now Passed! YAY!

19th August

The Day of Two Halves

This morning see’s me start my 5 days of training leading to assessment (makes it sounds sooo much better than that ‘E’ Word!) on Monday @ 10am!!

The day starts shocking as I leave home and get 2/3 of the way to Cannock, and suddenly it dawns on me that I’ve forgotten my card after been told that I would be required to pay today…FRICK!!! I’m soon racing back home to grab it and shoot back to Cannock (not that I broke any speed records or anything). Start off by meeting Ken who will be my instructor until the assessment on the Monday. He leads off by starting the driving and talking my through the instrument panel, how to approach the hazards on the road, how to use the gear box and switch including block changing etc.
Soon before I know it it’s my turn for my first lesson…arghhh! Again soon I’m about a 45mins in and I’m told ‘’your doing excellent, as well as the other guy who is on his 3rd day…’’ Now this I’m sure is called the kiss of death, simply cos after this I’m forgetting the switch, not using my mirrors when going round corners etc!! All basics and as such basic schoolboy errors! I ask Ken weather we can stop (in a suitable place) for a short breather! He tells me yes and as we aren’t that far away from the reverse pad he would drive up to there allowing me to get my head back into the game! To be honest I know after passing my test I won’t be able to do such a thing like that, however, I’m pleased to regroup my thoughts and get myself by the scruff of the neck and get back on the ball.
We arrive at the reverse pad and he shows me how to do the reverse, what to do during it, basically the in’s-and-out’s of it all. Before long I’m soon in the seat and thankfully nice and slowly I’m there! WOOHOOOO!! Little personal battle won and my confidence, which had taken a battering after the mare of a morning, is growing once again. A couple of more attempts, all of which I’m there bang on, and I’m smiling once again! The braking exercising, which of course is not an emergency stop, is also great to do…if not a little exciting. I actually love both exercises I must admit and blew away the stigma I had about them.
Quickly we are back onto the area of Stafford where the mare started and I’m nailing it… :smiley: :smiley: constant mirror checks, especially when turning see’s me not mount the kerb again. Island work and tightest turns. The gear box suddenly starts to click as well; I’m now giving myself time on the switch, finding the right gear for the road as required. On the way back to base and Ken only mentions a few words ever now and again…I think that’s a good thing? Well hope so anyway!
Quickly we are then on the way back towards base, covering parts of test routes which are a bonus and give me an insight into what’s going to be involved.
The last downside of the day occurs at Worseley Bridge, got in a bit of a muddle when I was trying to get sorted at the top of the hill and unfortunately the vehicle naturally gains momentum down the hill and I’m then trying to do everything last minute…Lesson learnt! Get sorted beforehand and if in doubt slow right down and breathe! Whatever you do don’t rush!!
The main points of the day are…after the first 90mins I’m much better, simply due to giving myself time. Don’t underestimate the usage of mirrors at every single time!! The braking and reverse (for DSA…real life no doubt much harder!) exercises are actually not as bad as their stigma portray them! Braking during general driving is also better and I’m starting to read what is required (gear wise) as the road plays out in front of me.
The main point for me…DON’T LET WHATEVER HAPPENS OUTSIDE OF DRIVING EFFECT WHAT YOU DO ON THE ROAD!! :open_mouth: :unamused: :wink: :exclamation:

After this morning’s effort I was beginning to think should I really be doing this…But simply after I got my posterior kicked by myself, I’m pleased to say I’m still happy to be doing it!
Now my lessons start at 6am…now I’m hoping someone on here can help the student in me…since when has there been two 6o’clock in the SAME day? I joke of course!

May I also put a quick word in for Markone who I just read passed his test! Many congratulations fella!