Overnight parking of hgv's in residential areas

I too would get pretty fed up with this, after all, I live in a residential area, not a transport yard.

I seem to remember that the rules regarding the vehicle being at it’s operating centre is that the word “regularly” is the operative. I.e., you must have an operating licence covering any location where the vehicle is parked regularly.

Reading the spirit of the regulations this means that you can park a vehicle anywhere providing that the practise isn’t occurring on a regular basis. Not that I’d do this of course, like I said I don’t live in a transport yard and I don’t expect my neighbours to have to do the same.

It’s back to the old bugbear of consideration for others.

For what it’s worth, my course of action would have been exactly the same as Dan’s. A polite note on the windscreen, then a polite request to the driver (who will no doubt say “it’s got nowt to do with you” - wrong!) then a phonecall to the operator and if that fails then as the last resort it’s a complaint to the authorities. I wouldn’t have thought it would get that far. As anyone who has held an O licence will tell you, you try your best not to draw the attention of the authorities.