Dangerous goods advice- UK regs and ADR

NEJ:
Hi Dave just a question about DGN,s as we carry containers only, import & export when we carry a loaded container to the docks / raihead etc. for export we are given DGN,s & tremcard including the new tremcard as some company,s now don,t issue a tremcard as we carry the new ones with us .

Hi NEJ, The ‘Tremcard’ is the easiest thing to deal with first, so here goes:
From 01/07/09, it is the responsibility of the ‘carrier’ (the operator of the truck) to supply a four-page document to fulfil the ‘Tremcard’ requirement. That’s that, short and sweet.!!
My advice to companies operating in the UK is to print these ‘double-sided’ and laminate them to protect them. Printing them in colour IS a legal requirement.
If the company does this and issues it to every ADR qualified driver to put in their driver’s folder, then they are always available.
Compared to the old system, this seems to me to be extremely easy in terms of being able to be fully compliant, becase one document covers ALL classes of dangerous goods.

NEJ:
The question is if we collect an import container from say a railhead or docks for delivery in the UK do we need to carry the DGN,s as well as the tremcard as one of our drivers was told by our office “Guru” (the shiny a**** pen pusher who knows it all) that you only need the tremcard when collecting an import container as DGN,s are only for the shipping co. and are not required for road transport on import containers?

I’m not quite sure what the guy in your office actually means… maybe he doesn’t quite know for sure…
When a load (including a load carried in a container) is subject to ADR Regs, then there must be BOTH a ‘tremcard’ AND a ‘transport document’ on board the vehicle. There’s much myth surrounding a ‘transport document,’ but it doesn’t need to be anything too fancy.
As long as a DGN is correctly filled in and is acceptable to IMDG (they usually are) then a DGN actually more than meets ADR’s requirent for a ‘transport document.’ Again, that’s short and sweet.

NEJ:
Btw, I asked some time ago about prosecutions after a non-compliance PG9 (immediate or delayed) is issued in a “Hazmat” check and I have been told by a police officer that only the company is prosecuted for non-compliance and not the driver as it is the responsibility of the co. to ensure the driver is issued with the correct safety eqpmt. for ADR requirements / loads, bearing in mind it is still the responsibility of the driver to inform the co. that he / she is non-compliant and I would assume that there is the “Due Diligence” clause to absolve the driver of responsibility but I personally wouldn,t take the chance.

I now have some info as to likely outcomes from a very credible source. You’re correct with your notion of due diligence. I’d take that as the driver asking a question and getting the answer written on the document in question. That way, the person who says ‘that’s legal’ or ‘you can’t do that’ is accountable.
If you click :arrow_right: THIS LINK

Then go to Section 14, and you’ll get some ‘horse’s-mouth’ type info. :wink:

NEJ:
P.S. I did ring you last week to arrange a meeting but possibly you didn,t get the message on your voicemail or more likely I have the wrong no. for you!

I’ll PM you my phone number again, just in case… :wink: