The humble Ford D series

In reply to those of you that said they were flying machines with the V8 in, I can confirm that, my Dad had a 16tonner with the old west coast mirror set up that had the Ford V8, I think it was a ■■■■■■■ built under licence, possibly the Vale? range, anyway this thing could really move, it had a 5speed with a 2 spd back axle & would go off the clock with the axle in low so god knows how fast it went in high! It met an unfortunate end when an 8wheel tanker hit my Dad head on when he lost it on a left hand bend (the tanker, not my Dad) luckily it was a Scammel Routeman & made of Plastic so they basically hit each over front wheel to front wheel before both ending up on their sides in their respective ditches, neither driver was seriously hurt although my Dads van boy went through the windscreen & got a severe case of road rash :frowning:

I had one myself when I first started driving, an R reg, SGH something or other, I recall a very comfy drivers seat, good mirrors (the big grey plasic backed ones) very heavy steering when loaded, no power steering :open_mouth: & terrible brakes, must be a Ford signature as a Transcon I drove had awful brakes too :unamused:

Nice old motors though, I toyed with the idea of restoring one, but then came to my senses :laughing: