Cumbria companies

bubbleman:
This old 88 was taken many moons ago,yes its ■■■■■■■■ registered but was Burnholme a company from ■■■■■■■ :question: :laughing:

Too true it was Bubbsy. Burnholme Transport was based in Penrith. on Gilwilly Industrial Estate (certainly when I drove for them in the mid-7o,s) They ran a fleet that could truly be called “mixed”. Lots of per-owned F86 Volvos and Scanias mainly.
The one pictured above was driven by “HAT” Thoele, Otherwise known as “Musketeer” on CB. Now a top penpusher at Travis Perkins in Penrith. They had another F88 which must have been one of the first in the uk.TBB15G was it,s registration.(a Geordie Reg). It,s regular pilot was Trevor Atki…(come on Bubbs dig deep find some more.). They were a great firm to work for . Harry Dixon the gaffer was one of the real old time bosses. Calling a spade a spade wasn,t in it. His sons Dennis and Raymond, and Daughter Joan, ran the office.The head fitter was “Big Jim”, whose speciality was fixing most problems with a big sledgehammer.His assistant was John Hodgson :laughing: :laughing: They ran about 30 waggons at one time, but over the years it has reduced to just one or two motors maybe still being run by Raymond Dixon. We used to suffer quite a few breakdowns during my time there. In the early days of CB,s it got the less than flattering soubriquet of “Fawlty Towers”.But all the lads were great to work with. We loaded steel out of all the Scottish Steel mills, to all points South, East, and West, and got return loads of Steel from all the Southern steel mills ,(Ebbw Vale, Shotton, Scunny etc.) plus whatever else was available from wherever, back to wherever. Great days, with a great firm, and no bad memories of my time with them. It also is fair to say that if you could hack it with Burnholme Transport you could hack it with anyone else.Robbo. :laughing: :laughing:

ps.stavalger will be getting the full sp on the Hudson 8wheeler breakdown vehicle tomorrow. theguy who who drove it when he was at Hudson,s has an interesting knowledge of it. Right up to date.
nzjamie might also get some info on the Bewick/Devon Valley Ind. Scanny as well. Chris also drove for them.
He,s paying a visit tomorrow.