Dangerous goods advice- UK regs and ADR

dieseldave:

MrFlibble:
I note your previous post on LPG Propane cylinders where the limit is 333 kg nett total, but I’m pretty sure that that’s not the LQ limit is it?

Hi MrFlibble, There’s no connection between the 333kgs nett ‘freebie’ and the notion of Limited Quantities. :smiley:

Yes, that’s what I thought from reading your earlier posts.

dieseldave:

MrFlibble:
What would be the LQ limits on:

1. LPG Propane for driver’s personal use (cooking, etc.)
  2. LPG Propane used as fuel for a forklift carried on the vehicle

I’m thinking of both ADR and IMDG here, as we have to do some of our journey by boat.

I’m guessing that a driver would have butane as cooker fuel, but that’s not really going to affect anything here.
Sorry mate, but again I’m going to have to say: forget Limited Quantities.
The drivers’ cooker fuel is for private use, therefore that is ADR exempt (1.1.3.1) and DOESN’T count towards the 333kgs load limit.

Yes, that’s what I thought from our previous conversation (there’s an echo in here :wink: )

dieseldave:
To answer your Q2, I need a little clarification please…
Are you carrying a whole FLT with an attached propane cylinder as its fuel, or are you saying that the purpose of the propane cylinders you’re carrying is to power FLTs when you get to your destination??

OK, I’ll go into a bit more detail. The reason for asking is twofold:

1. Whilst on the Easter convoy, someone (I can’t remember who) pointed out to one of our drivers that the fact that he was carrying two cylinders of propane (25 kg each IIRC) meant that ADR applied, and that the fact that it was two separate cylinders was the issue - only one cylinder was allowed, irrespective of the size. I smelt a “MMTM” rat, and thought I’d get it confirmed by someone who knows what he’s talking about :wink:

The cooking fuel is definitely propane (I know I’m colourblind, but I know the difference between a bright red cylinder and a bright blue one… :wink: ), as the driver in question often cooks for the whole convoy when they stop overnight in a layby (or have a fry-up in the morning), so they’ve got a big 3-burner cooker. However, as it’s probably legitimate to claim it as “private use”, it’s irrelevant as you say.

In my case, yes I carry butane, but it’s a much smaller cylinder (only a couple of kg).

1. I am considering trying to get a forklift which we would be carrying on the vehicle with the gas. I haven’t decided whether to go for diesel or LPG yet - both have their advantages.

If I decide to go with LPG, then we would, at the very least, carry one cylinder on the forklift itself, plus one spare so that one can be in use whilst the other is taken away for refilling. The spare cylinder could travel on another vehicle if that makes life easier.

I probably couldn’t get away with claiming that forklift fuel was “personal possessions”, so that would would probably have to be covered under the regs.

At the moment, the second question is somewhat hypothetical as you can see, but needless to say, any hassle we’d need to go through for ADR etc. would influence the choice of forklift (i.e. diesel-powered vs LPG-powered)