Dangerous goods advice- UK regs and ADR

MrFlibble:
I note your previous post on LPG Propane cylinders where the limit is 333 kg nett total, but I’m pretty sure that that’s not the LQ limit is it?

Hi MrFlibble, There’s no connection between the 333kgs nett ‘freebie’ and the notion of Limited Quantities. :smiley:

Written on ADR documentation correctly, what you’re carrying is:
UN 1978 PROPANE, 2.1 (B/D)
Transport Category 2

The LQ code for propane is: LQ0, which means that there is NO LQ exemption available under ADR 3.4.6, however that’s got NOTHING to do with the 333kg nett ‘freebie’ limit, which is in ADR 1.1.3.6. (Very different. :wink: )
Under ADR (by road) you get to carry 333kg nett of propane without the full weight of the ADR Regs applying to you, because it’s in Transport Category 2. This is a completely different exemption, because this exemption applies per vehicle NOT per package.
In practice, this means that you can carry propane in gas cylinders on a vehicle (truck) by road in quantities UP TO 333kgs nett. ( don’t count the gross weight of the cylinder in the calculation. )Therefore, you can carry any combination of cylinder sizes, PROVIDED that you don’t exceed 333kgs nett per vehicle.

If you can comply with the above, all that needs to be on the vehicle is 1 X 2kg dry-powder fire-extinguisher. NO orange boards, NO ADR licence, NO Tremcard (IIW), NO extra vehicle equipment.
There’s one extra requirement for an international road journey: You will need a correctly completed ‘transport document,’ which can be a CMR, but I’d stress that the way of filling in the required info on a CMR is very important. :wink:

MrFlibble:
What would be the LQ limits on:

1. LPG Propane for driver’s personal use (cooking, etc.)
  2. LPG Propane used as fuel for a forklift carried on the vehicle

I’m thinking of both ADR and IMDG here, as we have to do some of our journey by boat.

I’m guessing that a driver would have butane as cooker fuel, but that’s not really going to affect anything here.
Sorry mate, but again I’m going to have to say: forget Limited Quantities.
The drivers’ cooker fuel is for private use, therefore that is ADR exempt (1.1.3.1) and DOESN’T count towards the 333kgs load limit.

To answer your Q2, I need a little clarification please…
Are you carrying a whole FLT with an attached propane cylinder as its fuel, or are you saying that the purpose of the propane cylinders you’re carrying is to power FLTs when you get to your destination??

As far as a sea journey by ferry is concerned when carrying <333kgs nett propane, the IMDG Code isn’t of concern to you, except…
You’ll need a multi-modal dangerous goods note (DGN) to present to the booking clerk, you’ll be issued 3 placards per vehicle carrying propane, which will need to be placed: one on each side and one on the rear
Size = 250mm X 250mm
You’ll also need to obey any instructions given by the ship’s crew with regard to where they want you to park your vehicle whilst it’s on the ferry.
TIP: Only place these placards on the vehicle(s) for the ferry journey, THEY AREN’T REQUIRED BY ROAD, so I’d remove them the minute you get off the ferry. :wink: