Pics of pre-1989 Polish lorries in UK

KW:
Driving to Poland around 1981-2 I used to always get a wave from the PKS driver’s,very friendly and would always stop to see if you needed help.Remember they had Volvo F89’s and F12’s,and also some SK Mercedes.

Didn’t they have a big depot at Slubice?

I also remember seeing those old Orbis tourist buses in the UK,which was quite a rarity!

yes, but what i know they had some western lorries bought for hard currency to go west and for local trips within eastern bloc they were using standard eastern lorries like Liaz, Jelcz, Star, Kamaz etc.

I just read that from time to time they were sending these to the west… So I just asked if anyone seen some of them in UK?

I checked that thread, but (apart of some orange Liaz in the distance on one of the pics, which I guess will be hungarian) I can’t see any PKS there at all… Maybe they were on that pics which are gone from photobucket?

As for depots: yes, every bigger city had a PKS depot. That was almost one and only, state owned haulage company… And if you were driving this western-going ones, you were a young god, as you had your diets paid in dollars at the official rate (wich was very low), so if you trade this dollars on the black market, you was really rich…

Unfortunately, in most cases you had to have really good back to get that job :neutral_face: