Dangerous goods advice- UK regs and ADR

NEJ:
On this one mate I always sign the DGNs as when you go to the docks / railhead with a container (as I am on containers as well) I have been turned away at the booking in desk cos the DGNs haven,t been signed by either me or the driver who collected the load.

Hi NEJ, This one is going to depend on which type of DGN a person is using…
ADR provides a blank example of a multi-modal DGN, but there are different versions in use eg. SITPRO produce a good DGN and it includes advice on the reverse on how to complete it. Some of the shipping lines have their own in-house versions of a DGN too.

NEJ:
Also once at Felixstowe I was turned away because the “loader / responsible person” hadn,t signed the DGN`s either on behalf of the manufacturer / warehouse!

Quite right too!!
The person responsible for stowing and securing the goods on/in the vehicle/container must sign this part. That’s quite a hefty responsibility if sea transport is involved, due to the wording of the sea Regs. As general advice, I’d suggest that a vehicle driver shouldn’t sign this part of the form if they’re in any way unsure that the standard of stowing and securing meets all applicable requirements. I wouldn’t wish to scare folks at this point, but there are circumstances, usually after some kind of spillage/incident that signing that part of the form might come back and bite somebody in the ■■■.

NEJ:
You as the driver are as far as I am aware (but I stand to be corrected on this one by Dave) are not responsible for the actual load in the container such as it being segregated correctly if it is a mixed load.

I wouldn’t attempt to correct that which is already correct. :grimacing: