LGV TRAINING TIPS [Reworked 01/02/2022] (Read only)

C+E W&D TEST REVERSE VIDEO

C+E ARTIC TEST REVERSE VIDEO
video sound quality poor but you’ll certainly get the idea :smiley:

The following video is excellent for showing the view from a mirror and the o/s front wheel not crossing the line at the start of the ARTIC reverse, HOWEVER, both mirrors will need to be used constantly on training and the DSA LGV test.

This is one way of instructing trainees on the ARTIC reverse other instructors may have different methods
Vehicle is Volvo ‘V’ reg. F12 380 sleeper cab with 45-foot tandem trailer with super singles.
Total length is 16.5 metres, the maximum allowed for the DSA LGV test.

On approaching the marked out reverse area, I get the trainee to drive over the marked garage box and put the n/s/f unit wheel 2 feet from the right of the left boundary line and keep it that distance away until we are nearly level with the start cones. I tell them not to look at the trailer because that will take care of itself and to concentrate on keeping the two feet distance with the n/s/f unit wheel. We then stop and everything is in a straight line.
I then explain the straight-line reverse and how to make the trailer move slightly to the left or right.
Straight line reverse — if the trailer starts to go into one of the mirrors then turn the wheel into that mirror until both mirrors are seeing the same amount of trailer again, then keep the mirrors seeing the same amount each.
To make the trailer go to the left or right — slightly pull the wheel the opposite way to what you want the trailer to go which will put a little more trailer in the mirror on the side you want it to go and hold that little amount for a few seconds by slight adjustments to the wheel.
To stop the bending and to find out exactly where you now are, turn the wheel into the mirror that has the trailer in it until both mirrors see the same amount of trailer.
The bending of the trailer will not stop until both mirrors are seeing the same amount of trailer.
This straight line reversing and the slight moving to adjust position of the trailer gives the trainees the basic information.

Next is the setting up for the start cones along with the initial unit manoeuvre to put the bend in the trailer.
Setting up for the start cones is exactly the same as the rigid C test but the DSA have the B cone and the start cones about one pace further out to the left of the yellow line so you have more room. Keep as far to the left in the start up area as you can without going out of the area as this will give you more space to manoeuvre on the right — you should be able to see the B cone in the left mirror and not have any part of the lorry through the start ‘A’ cones in front of you.

Seatbelt does not have to be worn to do the reverse manoeuvre.

Initial unit manoeuvre to put the bend in the trailer.
Open driver window, into reverse gear, check both mirrors and do an out the window blind spot check.
No dry steering. As you start to move back put a full right lock on and when the unit gets to about 45 degrees, centralise the steering — the rear wheels of the unit want to be about 18 inches from the yellow line with the front unit wheels the same as the back so that the unit is now parallel to the yellow line and about 18 inches from it. Think of it like manoeuvring a small rigid and whilst doing this bit, forget about the trailer.
With the set up of the artic I use, I ask the trainees if the normal n/s mirror is full up with the trailer. If no, then staying in the parallel position, keep reversing back until it is.
When the trailer has just filled up the mirror put the o/s/f unit wheel next to the yellow line and hold it there until the mirrors are showing the same amount of trailer in each.
You now have the unit & trailer in a straight line, with the whole set up at an angle, but not always exactly the same angle, across the reverse area with the rear end pointing in the general direction of the garage cones.

Now the info given at the start comes into play.
The objective is to get the whole combination over to the far left edge of the test area and end up with it in a straight line before entering the garage cones. This is the tricky bit!!
Using BOTH mirrors and, if you want to, looking out of the driver’s window, gently turn the steering wheel so that the trailer appears more in the right mirror than the left. Hold that amount in the mirror or it will keep on increasing the amount of bend. At this point you may require more or less bend in the trailer so adjust the wheel as necessary. Put the unit into an exact line with the trailer every so often and then THINK what you need to do next BEFORE you do it.
The bending of the trailer will not stop until both mirrors are seeing the same amount of trailer — this is the only way you will know exactly where you are.
As the trailer gets near to the first garage cones decide at this point whether you are going to easily get into the garage or whether to take the option of a forward shunt (you are allowed two). If shunt forward then do as stated at the start of this post — unit wheel two feet from left edge of area and hold it etc.
If the combination will easily go into the garage then that is a BONUS point to you — never hold back from doing a forward shunt and then doing a straight line reverse — the passing of this test is paramount.
The vehicle I use has a mark on one of the rear wheel arches and when this mark seems to touch a certain point on the floor area just before the barrier it is time to stop. The trainee is allowed once only, without any marks against them, to get out of the cab and go to the rear of the trailer to see where it is positioned and may then get back into the cab and adjust for the final time if needed. The rearmost part of the trailer should stop over the yellow & black-hatched area just prior to the barrier. Don’t hit the barrier, as it is an instant fail.

You may have noticed that at no time did I TELL the trainee which way to turn the wheel. I gave the trainee the information needed and let the trainee decide.
Other instructors may have different methods but I have had a roaring success with this one. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

darkseeker:
just a quick tip for your reversing mate (it took me ages to realise this):

you get the trailer out of the starting area and passing the cone then swing the unit around the kingpin so as to get the whole lot straight (ish) Now, when I first started, I thought I needed to get the trailer’s wheels over the far side of the area then swing the front of the trailer arround (pivoting on the wheels and pushing with the unit) but that doesn’t work well, not for me anyway.

How I found worked;

You’ll’ve done your rigid test, iirc what I’m about to say is similar;

in a rigid, you head across the area at an angle (or a slight curve) and aim the offside rear wheel to go around the first cone on the garage… hold that thought!

ok, you’ve got the trailer out of the starting bit and you’re getting the unit straight with the trailer, keep half an eye on the steering wheel, and watch what the unit’s doing in relation to the trailer - the two will come straight (you’ll probably be turning the steering wheel at this point) they’re straight, you’re moving back slowly, the steering wheel’s straight NOW before you go back more than a couple of feet. turn the wheel a little bit past straight (to the left) only quater of a turn or so) and take the whole lot towards the garage in a long curve, adjusting as you go so the offside wheel of the trailer misses that first cone by a few inches and goes round it in a curve, you’ll need to turn left a bit more now to start shoving the front of the trailer over to the other side of the area but GENTLY - if you get the unit at much of an angle to the trailer at this point you’ll find it difficult to correct and you’ll probably over-cook it.

Hope that makes sense, what I’m trying to say is you can’t get the trailer over the other side of the area then push the front of it round with the unit, you’re trying to do too much in the space allowed, you need that bit of a curveas you go across, it does most of the job as you go. Saying that, I’m no expert - just don’t forget once you’re out of the starting area, you don’t need to move the steering wheel very far at a time. turn the steering wheel a little bit and give the trailer time to react, it doesn’t straight away

my 2p, best of luck mate.

Giblsa:
so once youre past/not going to hit the marker in the middle you just seem to ‘curve’ it in to the box (like beckham) then straighten up as the wheels reach the cones and do it all very slowly with slight turns!

RETURN TO INDEX