LGV TRAINING TIPS [Reworked 01/02/2022] (Read only)

TIPS FOR THE DVSA C+E (ARTIC)
These are my personal tips - your instructor may do things slightly differently.

The artic trailer ‘PIVOT POINT’ is the front axle of a tandem trailer and the middle axle of a tri-axle trailer.
The o/s/f unit wheel controls the n/s trailer pivot point & the n/s/f unit wheel controls the o/s trailer pivot point.
The more room you take with the unit front wheel will mean the more room the corresponding pivot point will have.
Take some time out and go to a place where artics do regular turns and watch them.

Watch out for where the road ‘kicks’ left just before a roundabout as that is a point where you can get caught out with the n/s trailer wheels. Look at the ground near such a place and look for the ruts in the grass etc where others have got it wrong.

Work out what piece of road you need to avoid going over a kerb and stick to your plan. If some else takes the space you need then BRAKE and wait for the space to become clear for you to use.

If, when looking at a roundabout, you think you will need all the room when on the roundabout, then take all the room on the approach.
Check that left mirror just before entering a roundabout or turning left — the examiners are hot on that one.
If unsure what gear to use for a roundabout or turn, try gear 4 if still moving — the highest gear of the low range — most will go up to 20mph which, in most cases, is quite quick enough on test for a small to average roundabout or a 90 degree turn.

On an angle start, get that last possible look in the left mirror before you lose the view as the unit will angle to the right and the trailer will then block the view.

The vidoes below will give you an insight to the positioning of an artic when negotiating hazards.
The camera is set about 1 foot right of the windscreen centre.
Notice how the driver makes use of the available road space including the cross-hatchings.

euroscot
FROM HERE
:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dShfpXXJ3bo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbhEfCbAVdg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZtIIRtcScw

ARTIC or W&D :question: :question:

taximan:
If you take your test in a rigid pulling a trailer, does it give you full C+E entitlement with no restrictions? For example, after passing in said combination, would someone be able to jump into an artic legally.

YES - BUT consider this…
Your first job is likely to be on artics and they are different :exclamation:
Why put yourself through the extra stress and pressure on your first day in a new job :question: :question:
A lot of training companies use W&Ds because it is a cheaper option than buying a proper artic.

My advice - LEARN IN THE TYPE OF VEHICLE THAT YOU WILL BE DRIVING.

Stuie:
I applied for a transfer in Feb. when I passed my C and heard nothing so I took the C+E in July. Yesterday I got a phone call, for an assessment drive and interview for today.
Interview was ok. now out for a drive in an artic (I did my test in a waggon and drag) what a difference. Driving forwards was fine. Just took bends a bit wider and kept out a bit more on roundabouts watching the rear wheels.
The gear box was not good to say the least it was a 4 over 4 with another button for half gears.It was so stiff I had trouble getting 5 and 6 it was a real heav ho.
Now the reverse, in the w/d I eventually did ok I knew how to control it. The artic no hope the instructor helped and we eventually got into the bay( no one and a half vehicle witdth) it was about 3" off the tyres so tight.
So I thought I had blown it.
Then I got a phone call saying I have the job. They said the main drive was ok and they will teach me how to reverse.
So pleased!!!.
As a conclusion waggon and drag are so different to an artic. I wish I had trained in an artic.It was a real wake up call.

tyler4164:
Hi mate, i passed my class 1 with a wagon & drag & got a class 1 job straight away. I’ll tell you the same thing i tell everyone, going from a wagon & drag setup straight into an artic is completely different. I had to retrain myself to reverse etc as its completely different. My instructor used both artics & wagon & drag. I told them i wanted to learn in artic & i was talked out of it by instructor. Said i should pass easy way then learn to drive artic while being paid. Should never of listened!!! Use an artic mate…trust me!!!

RETURN TO INDEX