LGV TRAINING TIPS [Reworked 01/02/2022] (Read only)

TruckNetUK Help File From this thread wrote -

There are many posts on this site that have cited certain National Training Providers for not being fully transparent with their advertising and not explaining EXACTLY what the trainee is letting themselves in for :exclamation:
Some claim they have many training centres - they don’t :exclamation: - they act as ‘middlemen’ and farm out the work to other training schools and taking a slice by way of commission in the process.

For example, a provider might seem to be giving something away for free such as a C+E course if you pass a CPC (Certificate of Professional Competence) course but beware, there will be time constraints on doing this :open_mouth:

Check exactly what they are asking you to do - is it a DRIVER CPC course which is not in force until Sept 2009 and is like ongoing basic training for LGV drivers, or a NATIONAL CPC (Operators) course which is only needed if you are going to run your own vehicle or a fleet of trucks :question: :question: :question:

The ‘operator’ CPC is not a legal requirement for a driver, and there is NO legal linkage or conditions about gaining a NATIONAL CPC to enable someone to upgrade to a C+E driving licence.

The NATIONAL CPC course only has 4 exam slots each year and is of an ‘A’ level examination standard.

If you pay one of these National Training Providers then, unless you have paid by CREDIT card, you may be unable to get a full refund once you realise that you have ‘been legally duped’. Always check with your card provider beforehand.

The general advice from the members of this site is to book your training with a company that has their own vehicles and instructors and, where possible, to get a recommendation from someone who has previously trained with them :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Ask questions…

Should I have an Assessment drive? (Your personal choice on this point)
How much is an Assessment drive?
How much is the full course?
What does that include — VAT? Medical? , Theory test training? Theory test fee? Theory book? HPT (Hazard Perception Test) CD rom?
How many behind-the-wheel training hours will I get before my test?
Do you offer 1 to 1 & 2 to 1 training so that I can opt for what is best for me?
If I do not pass first time, how long till I get a retest?
What is the TOTAL price to take a retest?
If my course (or test) is cancelled at short notice by you for any reason, will I get full compensation such as loss of earnings if I will have to take more time off work?

There have been various posts on this site about these National Training Providers and can be accessed by using the SEARCH facility at the top of the page - just input the name of the provider you wish to check on. :smiley: :smiley:

THIS LINK will give you another members’ personal observation on the way that they operate and is well worth a read :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

And this link HGV Training Brokers Named is well worth a read

RETURN TO INDEX