The humble Ford D series

I’ve added this from a previous thread about the Dodge 500 series and mentioned the D1000 as below,
Getting back to the Ford ■■■■■■■ V8, I remember one problem that had the fitters scratching their heads when I worked for Alfie W Ellis in Newcastle (that’s a blast from the past) we were continually getting water in the fuel problems and eventually after much searching found that because the ■■■■■■■ pressure time fuel system returned quite a lot of hot fuel back to the tank on the return side when the drivers got back at night and filled up with cold diesel it caused condensation to build up in the tanks and this produced enough water to give the problems encountered, after that they had to fill up in the mornings and this cured it.

They could also shift and one story at the time was a driver got stopped by the Police near the Forth Bridge and said they had clocked him at 92 mph, he got let off as they couldn’t believe it would do that and thought their instruments must be wrong, they might well have been but we knew these V8’s wouldn’t be far off that speed, that is until they blew up which did happen too. My Dad had an F reg if I recall correctly and although only a 28 ton GCW it went like stink and could pull, some hated the ‘Lucky dip’ gearbox and the handbrake has been mentioned but oh the heater was brill and the cab comfortable, he never had any engine problems while he had it and I believe when the ■■■■■■■ was going well not much could touch it, a pigeon catcher! Franky. Here’s a Ford brochure pic.