The humble Ford D series

My first experience of a D series Ford, was a 1965 16t gvw flat bed,as a drivers mate. It was bought off the local brewery,hired back to them in the summer months, and ran on general haulage the rest of the time.I can not remember doing much work to it, and selling on for more than we paid for it.
When it comes to driving one I had a 6 wheel tipper 24,390 gvw, with a perkins 540 V8,and eaton 2 speed rear axle.It was S reg,and came second hand off an owner driver who worked her hard in the quarries.The only fault I had was the brakes,the very same brakes that allowed a previous driver to use the truck ahead of him to bring him to a stop,the result being a new cab was needed.
This was where my good fortune came in,as the replacement came off an ex Silcox +Coiling tractor unit which was a custom cab,upholstered right through. It came with wider tyres which were transferred over,and with a locally made K+J Withey steel body looked the part,and stood out with the fibreglass roof cover with head board,made her stand tall,especially as it was painted in Deri blue and belonged to Alan Price + Sons.
It was a good performer on and off road,but weighed in at a heavy 8,800 kgs, but would out pull two V reg motors with road ranger 4+4 gear boxes.You had to respect the 2 speed,but if you used it correctly you could split up and down as you went up the box,and believe it or not that perkins would sing.But like most Welsh singers she did like to drink a bit,oil that is, not Allbright but was well maintained and gave long service.
Paul.