One thing I don't see much of on this

animal:
Well i’m both a driver and a partner of of driver, he lives 160 mil away

We both use these forums as and when work and personal commitments allow

Being a driver yourself, its a bit different. Obviously you understand the life, and its something you have in common. What about the ones that don’t? When Pat moved here, he didn’t want to drive anymore. And until I got pregnant, he didn’t. But in order for me to be home with the baby, he needed a job that made enough money to make up for my loss of income. It’s what he knew, and it pays the bills. For us, its purely a financial decision. It was a huge adjustment for everyone.

I hope no one takes offense to this, but truck drivers can be very self oriented. They work, live, talk, and breathe their job. I know many wives of drivers… and not many of them are happy. They resent the time their husbands are gone, resent being left with all the responsibilites of running the house, paying the bills, raising the kids, and managing every aspect of family life without much participation from their spouse, and in many cases being criticized for their decisions… it can be difficult. Their husbands take little interest in what they do, and seem to think that its not as important. We all start out being supportive, but when its not reciprocated, how long before we lose interest and just say ‘screw it’■■?

Drivers need to show as much respect and interest in what their partners do as they expect to receive. Thats rare,… and causes alot of resentment. I enjoy trucknet… as most of you probably can tell. But I’m not working outside the home at the moment, and supporting what Pat does is part of my responsibility if I’m going to stay home. But what about when I go back to work? Will he show as much interest and support in what I do as I have for him■■? Somehow I doubt it.