Doctor said no!

I went to see an eye doctor on monday to see if they could sort out my lazy eye.
They told me that the brain has told the good eye to do all the work, so to cut a long story short, i’m screwed. I’ve wanted to do my HGV for years but now i cant and i’m gutted. Some of you might think that i’m better off coz it’s going down the pan but, i love driving. So, can anyone give me some advice or put me in touch with a doctor who, shall we say, bends the rules a bit. Coz at the moment, the future is looking bleak.

have you tried to put a patch on you good eye to try to make your lazy work don’t no if it will work but did see it in a film

just a thought

del

so why cant u drive with one eye :confused:

dirty devil 666:
I went to see an eye doctor on monday to see if they could sort out my lazy eye.
They told me that the brain has told the good eye to do all the work, so to cut a long story short, i’m screwed. I’ve wanted to do my HGV for years but now i cant and i’m gutted. Some of you might think that i’m better off coz it’s going down the pan but, i love driving. So, can anyone give me some advice or put me in touch with a doctor who, shall we say, bends the rules a bit. Coz at the moment, the future is looking bleak.

I’ve got a lazy sod of a right eye but I can drive my car with out glasses but went for my first medical and failed at first hurdle reading the alphabet, doc said get some glasses and come back, got some glasses and passed. I was pleased i did as it had cost me 130 quid.

You dont say if you already have glasses■■?

nick2008:

my perspective! would be it would be it’d make it harder too judge distances

stevie

delboytwo:
have you tried to put a patch on you good eye to try to make your lazy work don’t no if it will work but did see it in a film

just a thought

del

No i have not, coz the doc said it’s pointless becuse the eye is knackered

nick2008:

Won’t pass the HGV medical, my youngest brother has the same problem. He did a bit of 7.5 tonne work without a problem. But has noticed when he drives left hand drive hire cars he struggles because of not being able to see out of one eye.

Can’t really help you much Dirty Devil, just have my sympathy, but sometimes not being able to do something takes us off in a direction we never thought of and things work out even better. :wink:

pecjam23:

dirty devil 666:

I’ve got a lazy sod of a right eye but I can drive my car with out glasses but went for my first medical and failed at first hurdle reading the alphabet, doc said get some glasses and come back, got some glasses and passed. I was pleased i did as it had cost me 130 quid.

You dont say if you already have glasses■■?

Went to the opticans and had the highest strength glasses they did and it worked a little bit better but not enough to pass a medical.

I’m a bit confused dirty devil. You lost your licence in 2006, and have had it back for 13 months so technically you have another 3 years 11 months before renewal, assuming you are over 45 years of age. So am I right in thinking that your doc has informed DVLA of your problem? I’m not sure a lazy eye is sufficient to have your vocational licence revoked but I’m sure Rog is the man to advise you. Sorry if I’ve got this all wrong, I’m not the sharpest knife in the drawer :open_mouth: but dont like to see an injustice. Good luck.

Tiger.

stevieboy308:

nick2008:

stevie

NO is the answer to that.

I have had a ‘shunt’ op done in my right eye because of glaucoma (left eye not affected) and the op put the eye out of alignment.
I cannot read a number plate in the right eye from 2 car lengths as it is all fuzzy.
Now the weird bit - with both eyes open I can see as well as anyone.
The left eye compensates.

I only have to wear glasses if I cannot see the right mirror in a LGV with the left eye from the normal seating position :exclamation: :exclamation:

ADD - I’ve just had my 5 year medical including extra DVLA eye tests and passed easily.

muckles:

nick2008:

Won’t pass the HGV medical, my youngest brother has the same problem. He did a bit of 7.5 tonne work without a problem. But has noticed when he drives left hand drive hire cars he struggles because of not being able to see out of one eye.

Can’t really help you much Dirty Devil, just have my sympathy, but sometimes not being able to do something takes us off in a direction we never thought of and things work out even better. :wink:

Yeah, you’re prob right there. Thanx

dirty devil 666:
shall we say, bends the rules a bit. .

:open_mouth:

When you say ‘eye doctor’ - who exactly did you see :question:

Fastrantiger:
I’m a bit confused dirty devil. You lost your licence in 2006, and have had it back for 13 months so technically you have another 3 years 11 months before renewal, assuming you are over 45 years of age. So am I right in thinking that your doc has informed DVLA of your problem? I’m not sure a lazy eye is sufficient to have your vocational licence revoked but I’m sure Rog is the man to advise you. Sorry if I’ve got this all wrong, I’m not the sharpest knife in the drawer :open_mouth: but dont like to see an injustice. Good luck.

Tiger.

I did lose my licence but only for 6 months for totting up. I’m only 31, and i dont have to inform dvla coz i still have one good eye and thats good enough for 7.5 tonne licence.

ROG:

A consultant at the hospital. (norfolk n norwich)

dirty devil 666:

ROG:

Did you do the DVLA Visual Fields test - the one with both eyes open?

ROG:

stevieboy308:

nick2008:

stevie

NO is the answer to that.

I have had a ‘shunt’ op done in my right eye because of glaucoma (left eye not affected) and the op put the eye out of alignment.
I cannot read a number plate in the right eye from 2 car lengths as it is all fuzzy.
Now the weird bit - with both eyes open I can see as well as anyone.
The left eye compensates.

I only have to wear glasses if I cannot see the right mirror in a LGV with the left eye from the normal seating position :exclamation: :exclamation:

ADD - I’ve just had my 5 year medical including extra DVLA eye tests and passed easily.

I think what happens in Dirty Devil case is you have a squint when you are young, (basically the eyes are not alligned) To cope with 2 images your brain favours one eye, because the other eye is not used it’s stops working.

being able to see out of one eye does stop you driving HGV’s, but it doesn’t stop you being Prime Minister. :laughing:

ROG:

dirty devil 666:

ROG:

No, they just looked at my eye through a lens thing and said it’s ■■■■■■ go away!

dirty devil 666:

ROG:

dirty devil 666:

ROG:

No, they just looked at my eye through a lens thing and said it’s [zb] go away!

Ok, go to optician for second opinion but tell them nothing about what has happened so far :bulb:

[/quote]

Could i pass my HGV on a visual field test?