Scottish Middle East Hauliers

Hi Al, George Henderson came from the Tranent or Macmerry area and had a Ford Transcon at one time. He was involved in a fatal accident in hungary and was under house arrest there for several months before his case came to trial. He was often to be seen with a tacho disc in his hand hitching a lift into budapest before his trial. if i recall he was sentenced to three years for leaving the scene of the accident. After his release he continuid to run abroad and i met him on a few occasions in the old commie block. I have not heard of him for several years now.
There was a company in Musselburgh called SCOMO that done a lot of middle east one of their drivers was Alex Peat who had been with the company for years. He later bought a TM Bedford with a ■■■■■■■ engine and was pulling for George Hammonds on the Kharg water contract near Baghdad. On one trip he was taken ill at Mosul and two of Duncan MacCrae’s drivers had to give blood at the hospital before they would operate on Alex. I later assistedAlex with his release from hospital and saw him on his way to Baghdad. He later flew home and i have not heard of him since.
I think that Eskside International was a lad called Tom Alston He also worked for Scomo for a while and Broxburn Machinery and later i think with Swans…

I worked for Frank White of Polton Mill for a few years in the seventies. Where we subbed for Astrans, Davies Turner, Redfearns, Z&B and many more running to the middle east. At the time of the revolution in Iran he was running fifteen trucks on M/E work and i think there were about nine impounded in Davies Turners compound in Iran awaiting customs clearance to tip. These were later recovered apart from a couple of trailers. Frank flew out with some drivers and drove them home after the Hostilities. Regards Jamie.

A Scot Lost in the Valley’s.