A93 - DEVIL'S ELBOW - Spital of Glenshee

I was inspired to post this thread by the one on Berridale Braes - another challenging bit of road in the old days was the A93 Devil’s Elbow near the Spital of Glenshee, Perthshire, I remember passing down there in 1964 in my dad’s Austin A40 and was totally fascinated by the place, a few years ago I tried to retrace my boyhood steps but was disappointed to discover that the road has been ‘improved’ and the old Devil’s Elbow has since been bypassed, so I never got to drive up there myself alas!.

Has anyone got any tales to tell or photographs to show of trucks negotiating this route in the old days? - No doubt a few were stranded up there in winter.

Over the years, numerous picture postcards have been published showing the road - (some I guess have been subtly enhanced too :- to give the illusion of an even steeper gradient!) :laughing:

Anyway, here’s one I came across showing the old Devil’s Elbow - I think someone has been using a 1950’s version of Photoshop!!! - because- the coach seems to be a mirror image - with the sliding passenger door on the offside!!

(Incidentally, I think the coach is an Eastern Coachworks ‘Queen Mary’ bodied Daimler of Scottish Motor Traction):-

:imp:

If you do a google image search for the devils elbow, glenshee, the first couple of pics are the same as the one posted here!!