Class 2 Training (PASSED)

Day 1 (Monday)

Arrive at the instructor’s place about 10 minutes before i was told to be there, got my Hi-Viz and Boots sorted out, Boots on my feet and Hi-Viz in my bag , took along my sunglasses and a couple of bottles of water, aswell as the usual Driving Licence and Thory Pass Certificate.

8am arrives and my instructor is there bang on the time he said we would. WE go into the office and sort the paperwork, hand over the money etc. He showed me some of the examiners check sheets from some previous fails that he hadm so i knew what areas they would be checking me on when i get round to taking the test.

We then went and had a look at the Wagon, did the usual daily checks , during which he noticed that his fuel cap was loose, he took it off and it would appear that the local scum had drained his tanks, leaving him with 1/4 tank. taking into account he has long range tanks they probably took a lot of fuel if he was full. but i doubt he was. so we looked at the back of the truck. he showed me a few things and said ‘dont worry about those, thats for when we have a trailer’ its a wag & drag outfit im learning with.

Finally get to jump in the cab, but in the passenger seat, so he can show me the controls and show me how to drive it. we drive about 1/2 mile down the road to the layby on the Main Rugeley to Hednesford road. At which point we change seats. While im adjusting my seat so i can get as comfortable as i could, he jumped out and got a cup of tea/coffee. One thing i do need to get hold of is a seatbelt extender, as the older trucks dont have as much slack in the seatbelts as the 07 / 08 reg DAF and MAN wagons ive been driving recently.

So off i go, pulling off in 3rd , reaching behind me for the handbrake (which isnt there and is actually n the dash lol), and my instructor immediatly says ‘now i know where your handbrake is on your 7.5tonners youve been driving’ . We go along the A460 into Rugeley, Then down the A51 towards Stafford and then down the A513 into Stafford when we reached Wolseley Bridge. Down to Weeping Cross by the Police HQ, turning left towards Cannock on the A34. Followed that all the way into Cannock town centre. all this time with no difficulties other than getting used to the range changer. We headed up to the Ind. Estates and thats where i had my one and only problem during the drive. A VW Bug tried to undertake me on a roundabout, and as i was paying attention to what they were doing, i mounted the kerb on the roundabout (oops), but rather go up a kerb than flatten a car. We headed back to the yard after we had been out for about 1 hour 30 mins , as he had explained earlier that he had a funeral to go to thi afternoon, and he had lost my number so couldnt contact me. So he came in today and gave me 2 hours free :slight_smile:

My Test is at Swynnerton on Monday at 10:30 . Im training 1 to 1 in the afternoon after he has done his morning trainee. So im starting at 11:30 Tues to Fri . BUT he is throwing in a few hours on Saturday aswell as the free hours i had this morning, as kindof a sorry for messing me about a bit (im not fussed, im getting more hours under my belt with my instructor before my test for free :laughing: )

PS Anyone know what sort of seatbelt extender will fit an N reg Scania 93M ? can i get one of those ‘universal’ ones off ebay ?