The story of shap

[zb]
anorak:

ERF-NGC-European:

[zb]
anorak:
That’s a V8 Mandator in Part 7, if I’m not mistaken.

You’re not mistaken. The clips are taken from the film showing the test runs AEC conducted with full load on. I used to have the video of it.

Ro

Aha! So it’s not part of the preserved-vehicle convoy shown in the rest of the film- it’s actual archive footage of a new AEC climbing the hill in pre-M6 days? If so, it’s making quite a bit of smoke for a new machine, especially one in the care of its maker’s development engineers. For a counterpoint, I remember reading the CM test report for the Scania 140 6 wheel drawbar outfit, in a 1970 issue, IIRC. The tester said that it climbed Shap without any visible smoke. I would put the report here, but it is in another computer, which is ill.*

I am interested in old everything, not just lorries. These laptops are 16 years old. My big computer is from the last century, and still does a good day’s work.

The V8 was being driven very hard in the film with a standard fully-laden test trailer on. It was called Southall Twilight IIRC and it may be on youtube now for all I know. I’ll have a look later…