Reversing

Don’t worry mate it will all fall into place the more you do it.
I was a brand new driver and went straight into the devil’s world that is Supermarket deliveries!
I can still remember the dread of arriving at some of the yards and thinking how the hell am I supposed to get this in there. To be honest I still think that now at some of the ridiculous places I go too.
The initial set up is a big thing. You can get most of the hard work done by just taking a breath before starting and picturing where you want to end up before going backwards.
If you have the space always try to end your set up with the trailer and unit “kinked” rather than in line.
This not only gives you a better view but gets the trailer turning as soon as you start reversing.
Head out or mirrors… it’s your choice. Just don’t neglect the nearside or offside checks too.
Just take your time and if in doubt Get Out and Look!
Better to jump in and out the cab a couple of times than just push on and hit something.
This is even more relevant in the dark as the reflections and lights in your mirrors can make it really difficult to pick out things.
As lots have already said. Don’t spin the wheel like a professional DJ. Put an input in and let it take effect.
Figure out where your trailer pivots axle wise.
Tri axle will pivot around the middle axle so that’s the one you need to “drive” along your imaginary line.
Twin axles pivot in the middle of the wheels.
Don’t be afraid to take as many shunts as you need.
And I guess most importantly don’t get frustrated with yourself if it doesn’t quite go to plan…
Everyone has those days where you nail every reverse.
But I guarantee everyone has days where nothing seems to go right.
Just enjoy it and practice practice practice