Brake Check Points

I’m surprised this was just dealt with by a postal submission. Dunno if he has the TC up next to defend his actions to. Is there a recognised gesture for I would like to overtake you at the first available opportunity, please stop in front of me?

“As I straightened out on to the road I heard the van beep his horn. I looked in my mirror and noticed he was gesticulating. Believing the van behind wanted to overtake and having noticed a traffic island up ahead, the trucker said he applied his brakes. The van had gone into the back of him.”

swindonadvertiser.co.uk/new … tely-lost/

swindonadvertiser.co.uk/new … hes-lorry/

I dont know the full story here.
But seems like more proof that its not worth the hassle of driving a truck on UK roads.

From the very limited information I read on the news article it seems like the sprinter van was up the truckers arse. When the HGV applied his breaks said van went into the truckers arse without any lube.

Moral of the story either use lube or keep a respectable breaking distance away from the vehicle in front.

*I could be completly wrong but I am just guessing as to what happened.

Well since he entered a guilty plea to the offence as summonsed there’s nothing to be gained by making him appear in person.

adam277:
But seems like more proof that its not worth the hassle of driving a truck on UK roads.

From the very limited information I read on the news article it seems like the sprinter van was up the truckers arse. When the HGV applied his breaks said van went into the truckers arse without any lube.

You missed the very important part which doesn’t make it that cut and dry. The lorry turned out from a side road turning right as the van was approaching from the left, the lorry driver saying he thought he had enough time to get out which probably means he didn’t.

It’s another reason not to use mirrors :stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t look, you don’t see the gesticulating and you don’t get confused thinking the other vehicle wishes to overtake and hoof the brakes on to accommodate :unamused:

adam277:

adam277:
I actually dont know much about this but I know people who have been caught by it

adam277:
I know nothing about the prices on these

adam277:
I dont know about BP

adam277:
I may be completely wrong.

adam277:
I donnt know much about the crash

adam277:
As someone who knows nothing about tankers.

To me, it looks like you know ■■■■ all about everything

isaac hunt:
To me, it looks like you know [zb] all about everything

I happily admit my own ignorance on subjects.
I do know a fair bit about some stuff though. I dont claim to be an expert on anything ‘trucknet’ related though.
Unlike other people on here who state their views and opinions as facts.

Something doesn’t add up here. 10-12 metres of truck has had time to make a 90° turn, in front of the van, and straighten up. The van had time to take evasive action, regardless of how poor the truck driver’s judgment. That contact wasn’t a light kiss, what speed was the van travelling, over 60kph IMO? It was still carrying a decent amount of speed on impact.