Reversing

redstar10:
Hi. I’m a new pass class1 driver. Had class2 for 22 years. So have plenty of hgv experience. My question to everyone is, does anyone know anybody who has never been able to grasp the technique of reversing. Or will I be the first?

I can’t comment on wag and drag but artic wise it can take more time than you would think. I would suggest a year before completely at ease is possible and was the case for me.

Do as much of the work you can going forwards, if you can leave a straight back to finish then great. That means thinking where you want the back of the trailer and so where to take the cab ahead to make that happen.

The mirrors are more important, especially ns, using the wide angle, in a rigid you don’t need the width to see your position going backwards but artic becomes vital with some angle on in the reverse. Judging space and if you are parallel can be harder with that view. Also the increasing area of blind spot can feel daunting, noticing everything relevant in the space as you approach it can help manage this, but if in doubt get out and look.

Rigid to artic easy to use too much steering input, if I use a rigid now I get shocked how many times I have to spin the steering wheel.