Applying for O license and getting an external TM

Hello,
I am wondering can I apply for my O license before I have bought the lorry? Also I will need an external TM is £350 a month dear and can anyone point me in the direction of any good ones?
Thanks

Yes you can apply for your o licence before you have a vehicle… Where abouts are you based as you’ll need a tm that’s local to you, the days of having one hundreds of miles away are long gone.
Rich

Thanks Rich thats good to know, I am based in North Ireland

350 is very dear, normally is around 250(3k a year) , my TM certificate cost me about 500 including one failed attempt and traveling cost to exams…thats for life

LL79:
350 is very dear,

You think so? Not amongst TM’s of my acquaintance.

Here’s someone else’s opinions too:

"How much does an external transport manager cost?
The standard rates start at around £350 for one vehicle plus £100 is usually added for additional vehicles. This can be more depending on your OCRS (operator compliance risk score). If your OCRS is amber or red then there is more work/risk so the price goes up."

tmconsultant.co.uk/external-transport-manager/

LL79:
350 is very dear, normally is around 250(3k a year) , my TM certificate cost me about 500 including one failed attempt and traveling cost to exams…thats for life

Qualification is for life, but refresher training becoming more common. Typically unless you have been doing some form of CPD traffic commissioners have been requesting TM to do refresher training after 5 years although this is usually only requested if you end up in for PI for any reason, can see them pushing to make it a requirement soon enough.

As for OPs question, £350 is about right for England, maybe marginally less up in Scotland. The cost to get through it yourself or put a spouse etc through the course is paid itself off within a couple months. My TM course cost £800 for 2 days classroom, test and distance learning documents.

Sent from my BV9900Pro using Tapatalk

Yes, LOTS of TM refreshers going on these days, sometimes the TC will even stipulate that the TM does a two-day course rather than a one day course. Also some TMs may need to do a FORS-approved TM Ref course and there’s only a relatively small number of TPs who can supply that (about eleven in the country IIRC)

It makes sense if people want to get their own TM-CPC, but lets not pretend that it is easy, generally about 50% of candidates fail these exams.

fair enough folks, can see now 350 is standard price, went up a lot since i’I’ve checked last time.
good point about refreshers too…

Zac_A:
Yes, LOTS of TM refreshers going on these days, sometimes the TC will even stipulate that the TM does a two-day course rather than a one day course.

Yup.

Happened to me 3 years ago.

Ken.