Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

Ray Smyth:

Fergie47:
Saviems today

Hi Dave, With regard to the above Saviem pictures, I remember that around late 1970, or early 1971,
Robert Baillie at Horndean had a Saviem on demo for a couple of weeks. I happened to drive it just
once when it arrived on night trunk at Baillies Wigan depot, loaded with cauliflower and parsley from
Brittany. I only went as far as Liverpool wholesale fruit & veg market with it, but compared with the
Atkinsons that I was used to, it was like driving a Rolls Royce. It was a sleeper cab with double bunk,
and the 6 speed gearbox was a column change under the steering wheel, I think there was a splitter
box switch on the gear lever. I have just had a thought, could it have been a Berliet ■■. :confused: :confused:
The Breton jug in the picture is what I bought on my first ever trip to Brittany in 1985, delivering to
campsites owned by Eurocamp.

Take care and keep safe. Cheers, Ray.

Hi Ray…hope you’re well and keeping safe…

I had a demonstrator Saviem, probably mid seventies from a dealer in either Dorset or Wiltshire, memory is fading…had it for three days, like the one you had, twin bunks column chance with splitter, quiet and comfortable, I think it was £9000 or thereabouts…i decided against it and bought an second hand F89…think it was a wise decision…

Way back in the early part of this thread I posted the above and even John (Saviem) said it was a good call, and he sold them, but he only liked the bigger later ones including the V8.

All a long time ago now…45 years or more…