Online adverts

Normally I just mentally blank out the edges of web pages so I avoid seeing the pointless and endless adverts (does internet advertising really work? I’m sceptical)

I’m wondering if we all see the same adverts on the forum or is there some form of personalization going on - I know Google (spit) are big on personalizing ads.

Either way, I’m struggling to understand why I keep seeing ads for Bentley every day :laughing:

Zac_A:
Normally I just mentally blank out the edges of web pages so I avoid seeing the pointless and endless adverts (does internet advertising really work? I’m sceptical)

I’m wondering if we all see the same adverts on the forum or is there some form of personalization going on - I know Google (spit) are big on personalizing ads.

Either way, I’m struggling to understand why I keep seeing ads for Bentley every day [emoji38]

I quite like getting irrelevant ads. Stops me getting distracted.
There is quite a lot written about what does and doesn’t influence us and our decision making, and some of that is even true! Behavioural economics. We all like to think of ourselves as being rational decision makers, but very few of us are completely so.
There is genuine research out there suggesting advertising monies aren’t wasted.
“Predictably Irrational” by Dan Ariely is an excellent read.

I’ve always bought stuff based on what I need and choose myself not what adverts are trying to encourage me to buy.
Online information is great for finding availability.
But the advertising industry is massive so they must think it works in many cases.

Haven’t seen an online or television advert nor heard a radio ad for a long time and just realised it thanks to this very thread.
Much to be said for turning the idiot box off permanently (only used for films etc) and muting the commercial only radio stations as the ads or what passes for news starts, bonus, avoids listening to or seeing the smug mugs of politicians and their paid lackeys.
Much to be said for ghostery and adblocker too :sunglasses: