Standard of CVs

Good Friend.

I’m kind of thinking you might be shooting yourself in the foot here, it might be annoying to receive poorly written (though that itself doesn’t mean they won’t be excellent drivers) CVs, but by not saying what their past relevant experience in the industry is they have consigned their consideration to the bin, lot easier for you than having to make time to interview people who won’t be suitable anyway.

It’s obvious you are after industry experienced people so these others are doing you a favour, each one takes you what 5 minutes to discard?, if the CV’s comprised of lies (invented or exaggerated past) didn’t arrive it might cost you several hours interviewing plus time’s knock on effects only to end up binning the applicant which previously took you moments due entirely to their pointless cv.

I speak from the other side here, as an applicant who’s CV got my foot 95% through the door, i cold called at my present and final job and they would take things no further than names until a CV was forthcoming, true to say i’d never had to provide one before but the times they are a changing, and just like we have to accept (or relish as some do) all the other changes in our industry, we have to accept that methods of employing people have also changed, so make it work for you, if you get asked for a CV don’t sod about thinking about it for a week, make sure it’s sitting on the boss’s desk first thing next morning…if you ain’t keen enough to land the job, what does that tell the potential employer what your atttitude to the job will be 12 months down the line?

My suggestion to drivers who want to get the job, CV should be concise, all on one page, no waffle about team playing ■■■■■■■■, a short personal statement to say who you are, then state experience previous work record including attendance accident and damage record and the reasons for leaving previous employment, give previous employment contact name if possible, make your CV stand out from the others, it is after all you that wants the job.

Yes i know some drivers here have never needed a CV, with employers forming a queue :wink: , but the fact is better employers often now require a CV to introduce yourself for the reasons i stated above, for one job they want to consider and interview a handful at most not 40 (plus keeping the terms and conditions offered more discreet), so use the cv opportunity to crush the opposition out of the running at the first hurdle, the right CV with the right background you might be the only person they actually interview face to face, so tell the truth on the cv otherwise you’ll look a right chump when they trip you up at interview or worse still when they discover you lied 2 or 12 months after employing you and boot your arse out the door, then you have another missing period of time to explain away on the next application.

GF, couple of other things.
The only reason that good drivers wanting long term employment seek other jobs is to better themselves in pay or hours or type of work, unless you are offering above or well above average terms and conditions most of your applicants are going to be either inexperienced (nothing wrong with that we all had to start somewhere), those moving area or been made redundant, those who get itchy feet after a few months and will move on again ( best viewed as long term agency), or worse case those who leave behind a trail of destruction in their wake and have to change jobs like their ■■■■■■■.
If you get that pay rise authorised sharpish you may find any vacancies will be filled quickly by recommendations from existing staff you trust.