France In Flames!

Because there are many links on this site to the Express and the Mail amongst other news sites, I get a varied news feed on my phone. I guess it`s the same for others here, and guess some of you may not read much else, the comments about readers of other papers would say so.
So to the way we get news, and facts, and how this colours our world view.
express.co.uk/news/world/13 … -update-vn
express.co.uk/news/world/13 … s-video-vn
express.co.uk/news/world/13 … er-cannons

So:
“France In Flames” is protesters letting off flares.
“Riots in Streets” is “the majority of the rally was reportedly peaceful, several disturbances ended in clashes with the police”
“Chaos on Berlin Streets” is “Demonstrators outside the historic Reichstag parliament building banged saucepans and blew whistles in a bid to make their opposition known”.

And from the excellent mediabiasfactcheck.com/daily-express/
“Failed Fact Checks
Germany has sent a bill to China for “coronavirus damages”. – False
A poll shows that 80% of British people want to quit the EU. – False
Coronavirus may have been genetically engineered for “efficient spreading in the human population,” a bombshell new study has claimed. – False
“Coronavirus horror: Volunteer in Oxford University’s COVID-19 vaccine trial DIES” – False”

Of course some will be convinced that this paper is the only one reporting things as they really are.
A quick Google search today for news in France showed
aljazeera.com/news/2020/11/ … ice-images
A report on the same demonstrations with stilt walkers, and protesters some wearing masks and spread out, some closer without masks.
Then, COVID lockdown, Black Friday, Ski-ing season worries…

Click on their videos of trucks stuck under bridges, and watch. But if you click through onto the “news” stories be aware it may not be the truth, and even if it is, it`ll be slanted heavily one way.

All newspapers slew their articles towards their own agenda, the last link you put up from the Independent has a line under the headline mocking the Home Secretary about taking control of our borders when the article is referring to the borders of other countries something no Home Secretary has control over. The point being the article is about border delays for UK citizens entering EU countries yet they have a dig at the Home Secretary, why? Because despite it’s name the Independent takes every opportunity to lambast the Tory party, in the same way that if Labour were in power the right wing press would use every opportunity to lambast them.
All newspapers lie just some are more subtle than others.

Mazzer2:
All newspapers slew their articles towards their own agenda, the last link you put up from the Independent has a line under the headline mocking the Home Secretary about taking control of our borders when the article is referring to the borders of other countries something no Home Secretary has control over. The point being the article is about border delays for UK citizens entering EU countries yet they have a dig at the Home Secretary, why? Because despite it’s name the Independent takes every opportunity to lambast the Tory party, in the same way that if Labour were in power the right wing press would use every opportunity to lambast them.

That link was in another thread, so heres a copy for anyone else: [independent.co.uk/travel/ne ... 59314.html](https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/brexit-passport-british-travellers-border-b1759314.html) Factual, Id say. All borders have two sides, and obviously each country only controls one side. Queues more likely to be longer.
Does it “lambast the Tories”? Does it “have a dig”?
I accept The Independent is left leaning, but I`m not sure that particular piece shows it.

“All newspapers lie” ?
Some seem to make career out of repeated lies, untruths, and bias.
Some others make errors. None are flawless.
But the serial screaming about impending disaster from the Express and Mail take some beating. What is particularly amusing is how they call others “fear mongers” and call out “project fear” when they are guiltier than most of such.
We also have some posters on TNUK talking about Brexit and C19 “facts”, that aren`t facts. Quoting what these sites report as “experts” and “scientists” saying without any sources, and often are either fiction or twisting what is said. Then true experts are blamed because the crap from these rags is proved false, but it is the genuine experts get to carry the can for the lies of others.

Franglais:

Mazzer2:

That link was in another thread, so heres a copy for anyone else: [independent.co.uk/travel/ne ... 59314.html](https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/brexit-passport-british-travellers-border-b1759314.html) Factual, Id say. All borders have two sides, and obviously each country only controls one side. Queues more likely to be longer.
Does it “lambast the Tories”? Does it “have a dig”?
I accept The Independent is left leaning, but I`m not sure that particular piece shows it.

“All newspapers lie” ?
Some seem to make career out of repeated lies, untruths, and bias.
Some others make errors. None are flawless.
But the serial screaming about impending disaster from the Express and Mail take some beating. What is particularly amusing is how they call others “fear mongers” and call out “project fear” when they are guiltier than most of such.
We also have some posters on TNUK talking about Brexit and C19 “facts”, that aren`t facts. Quoting what these sites report as “experts” and “scientists” saying without any sources, and often are either fiction or twisting what is said. Then true experts are blamed because the crap from these rags is proved false, but it is the genuine experts get to carry the can for the lies of others.

But the statement is factually incorrect no Home Secretary has control over another countries borders, in which case why put it in there? As I said some are more subtle than others, the Guardian will publish articles where the facts can be dubious as opinion pieces and so defend the pieces by saying they are the opinion of the writer not a factual assessment of the subject yet run it under a Daily Express/Daily Mail type headline.
The amount of lies spouted by newspapers can depend on what is happening in the world at a given time and how it fits in with their views, the left leaning press in the UK ran plenty of incorrect stories during and in the aftermath of the Gulf War. The Guardian’s go to solicitor for allegations of torture by British soldiers has since been struck off for malpractice the Guardian probably didn’t do to much fact checking as the story suited them, bit like the Mirror and it’s false allegations of torture.
Both the Express and the Guardian are well down the daily sales lists so neither are hardly mainstream views so to look at these two papers as a reflection of Britain would be wrong even though between them they do most of the shouting, which leads to something I was told years ago " Generally those who shout the loudest are shouting to hide their deficiencies"

Mazzer2:
But the statement is factually incorrect no Home Secretary has control over another countries borders, in which case why put it in there?

So, when Priti Patel said the UK will have control over its borders, was she telling the whole truth? I would say not, as clearly we only control our side of the border. So why not point that out? I see no factual inaccuracies in the Independents report.

Franglais:

Mazzer2:
But the statement is factually incorrect no Home Secretary has control over another countries borders, in which case why put it in there?

So, when Priti Patel said the UK will have control over its borders, was she telling the whole truth? I would say not, as clearly we only control our side of the border. So why not point that out? I see no factual inaccuracies in the Independents report.

Maybe because unless you are thick as mince you would realise that a British Home Secretary only has control of who enters the UK rather than control of who enters Spain or anywhere else in the world with the exception of people who can be prevented from leaving the UK.
To add the Independent knows full well that the phrase taking control of our borders was about people entering the UK, otherwise the phrase would be more along the lines of taking control of the world’s borders.

Mazzer2:
Both the Express and the Guardian are well down the daily sales lists so neither are hardly mainstream views so to look at these two papers as a reflection of Britain would be wrong even though between them they do most of the shouting, which leads to something I was told years ago " Generally those who shout the loudest are shouting to hide their deficiencies"

statista.com/statistics/376 … in-the-uk/
2018 figures show Mail at 3 and Guardian at 4 online, Express is off top ten list. Sun is 2nd.
BBC is (happily IMHO) at #1.
A search of the Pro Driver forum gives
7,500 hits for Mail
3,500 for Express
739 for Guardian.
(BBC is difficult to search for because it`s only 3 letters.)

Mazzer2:
Maybe because unless you are thick as mince you would realise that a British Home Secretary only has control of who enters the UK rather than control of who enters Spain or anywhere else in the world with the exception of people who can be prevented from leaving the UK.
To add the Independent knows full well that the phrase taking control of our borders was about people entering the UK, otherwise the phrase would be more along the lines of taking control of the world’s borders.

Very similar to the Brexit negotiations then:
The UK makes “the easiest trade negotiations in history”. We just go out there and say what we want. Easy.
Ignoring of course the fact that there is another party involved.
Two sides, but only one is talked about by right leaning sites. Shouldn`t that be made clear?

Franglais:
clearly we only control our side of the border.

so maybe I`m not “as thick as mince”?
Well, not in that instance at least! :smiley:

Franglais:

Mazzer2:

statista.com/statistics/376 … in-the-uk/
2018 figures show Mail at 3 and Guardian at 4 online, Express is off top ten list. Sun is 2nd.
BBC is (happily IMHO) at #1.
A search of the Pro Driver forum gives
7,500 hits for Mail
3,500 for Express
739 for Guardian.
(BBC is difficult to search for because it`s only 3 letters.)

Which just shows that by using different search parameters you can come up with different results I used daily sales of hard copies sold which put both the Guardian and Express well down the list. Not sure on the relevance of the BBC as not being a newspaper it is subject to different editorial constraints and so is not an even comparison.

On the trade negotiations the phrase easiest in history was used by the right wing press printing what their readers wanted to hear in the same way the left wing press prints what it’s readers want to hear again all newspapers do this otherwise their readers would move to other publications, I am not supporting it but that is the way of newspapers they have to sell copies otherwise like all business’s they will cease to trade and regardless of your views fewer newspapers is a bad thing.

Yes.
We will have control over our own borders… the right to control access.
Of course we don’t control the other side of the border… that’s not ours.

Factually incorrect

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Mazzer2:
On the trade negotiations the phrase easiest in history was used by the right wing press printing what their readers wanted to hear in the same way the left wing press prints what it’s readers want to hear again all newspapers do this otherwise their readers would move to other publications, I am not supporting it but that is the way of newspapers they have to sell copies otherwise like all business’s they will cease to trade and regardless of your views fewer newspapers is a bad thing.

Farage BBC 20/09/16
“To me, Brexit’s easy. We have back British passports, we have control of our fishing waters, and our companies are not subject to EU law through the single market.”
and May 2019
“I made one absolute promise in that campaign. We will be in control, for good or for bad, I never promised it would be a huge success, I never said it would be a failure, I just said we’d be in control.”

Johnson March 2016
“Everybody is suddenly wrangling about the terrors of the world outside… Actually, there are plenty of people who now think the cost of getting out would be virtually nil and the cost of staying in would be very high.”
July 2017
“There is no plan for no deal, because we’re going to get a great deal.”

Gove 06/05/2016
“The day after we vote to leave, we hold all the cards and we can choose the path we want.”
01/06/2016
“We have four years more or less between now and date of next election. We can easily conclude a new settlement with EU in that period”
Davis 14/07/16
“There will be no downside to Brexit, only a considerable upside”

Fox 20/07/2017 the classic
“But of course we want to come to a full and comprehensive deal with the European Union. Why? Because it’s good for the people of Britain and it’s good for our economy and it’s good for the consumers and it’s good for the workers of Europe and their economy. If you think about it, the free trade agreement that we will have to come to with the European Union should be one of the easiest in human history.”

Others available of course.
Printed by many papers, said by those named politicians.

Can`t resist these little reminders though:
Nuttall
“It will be easy to negotiate a trade deal, and of course, it’s in the European Union’s interest, just as it is in ours.”
Batten
trade relations with the EU could be sorted out “in an afternoon over a cup of coffee”
Carswell
“I think we could very easily get a better trade deal than we have at the moment”
Matthew Elliott, Vote Leave CE:
November 2016:
“It’s actually quite a simple deal… They have a pretty comprehensive plan for what they want to negotiate once they’ve triggered Article 50. I’m very confident still that by the end of March, Article 50 will be triggered.”
March 2017
“All the problems that you traditionally have with a trade negotiation aren’t there.”

Franglais:

Mazzer2:

Farage BBC 20/09/16
“To me, Brexit’s easy. We have back British passports, we have control of our fishing waters, and our companies are not subject to EU law through the single market.”
and May 2019
“I made one absolute promise in that campaign. We will be in control, for good or for bad, I never promised it would be a huge success, I never said it would be a failure, I just said we’d be in control.”

Johnson March 2016
“Everybody is suddenly wrangling about the terrors of the world outside… Actually, there are plenty of people who now think the cost of getting out would be virtually nil and the cost of staying in would be very high.”
July 2017

Gove 06/05/2016
“The day after we vote to leave, we hold all the cards and we can choose the path we want.”
01/06/2016
“We have four years more or less between now and date of next election. We can easily conclude a new settlement with EU in that period”
Davis 14/07/16

“But of course we want to come to a full and comprehensive deal with the European Union. Why? Because it’s good for the people of Britain and it’s good for our economy and it’s good for the consumers and it’s good for the workers of Europe and their economy. If you think about it, the free trade agreement that we will have to come to with the European Union should be one of the easiest in human history.”

Nuttall
“It will be easy to negotiate a trade deal, and of course, it’s in the European Union’s interest, just as it is in ours.”
Batten
trade relations with the EU could be sorted out “in an afternoon over a cup of coffee”
Carswell
“I think we could very easily get a better trade deal than we have at the moment”
November 2016:
“It’s actually quite a simple deal… They have a pretty comprehensive plan for what they want to negotiate once they’ve triggered Article 50. I’m very confident still that by the end of March, Article 50 will be triggered.”
March 2017
“All the problems that you traditionally have with a trade negotiation aren’t there.”

Enough I’m out you’ve turned what could have been a half decent discussion into press bias into a rant about BREXIT we all know your views on that and so no further discussion is needed

Franglais:

Mazzer2:

Farage BBC 20/09/16
and May 2019

Johnson March 2016
July 2017

Gove 06/05/2016
01/06/2016
Davis 14/07/16

Nuttall
Batten
Carswell
November 2016:
March 2017

Is it not in the EU interests to get a deal?

This isn’t a zero sum game

Monkey241:
Yes.

Factually incorrect

Yes.
Patel was factually incorrect when she said that we had control of our borders, because we only have control of our side.
She was correct when she said “We also need the cooperation of the French to intercept boats and return migrants back to France.” Twitter 07/08/2020.

Monkey241:

Franglais:

Mazzer2:

Farage BBC 20/09/16
and May 2019

Johnson March 2016
July 2017

Gove 06/05/2016
01/06/2016
Davis 14/07/16

Nuttall
Batten
Carswell
November 2016:
March 2017

Of course it is in their interests, but in terms of percentages they tarde with each other more than they trade with us while we trade more with the EU than we do with any one else. In essence they’d lose access to a market of 65m people, we’d lose access to a market of 500m people so yeah it would be in their interest, but not as much as its in our interest to secure a deal allowing us to trade with them

Franglais:

Monkey241:
Yes.

Factually incorrect

Yes.
Patel was factually incorrect when she said that we had control of our borders, because we only have control of our side.
She was correct when she said “We also need the cooperation of the French to intercept boats and return migrants back to France.” Twitter 07/08/2020.

No.
We control our border.

What the French do with their border is their issue.

Is FoM ending?

toonsy:

Monkey241:

Franglais:

Mazzer2:

Farage BBC 20/09/16
and May 2019

Johnson March 2016
July 2017

Gove 06/05/2016
01/06/2016
Davis 14/07/16

Nuttall
Batten
Carswell
November 2016:
March 2017

Of course it is in their interests, but in terms of percentages they tarde with each other more than they trade with us while we trade more with the EU than we do with any one else. In essence they’d lose access to a market of 65m people, we’d lose access to a market of 500m people so yeah it would be in their interest, but not as much as its in our interest to secure a deal allowing us to trade with them

Seem to recall we are their largest outside market.

The idea they trade more internally is irrelevant.

We also trade more internally [emoji1787]

Franglais:

Monkey241:
Yes.

Factually incorrect

Yes.

We don’t need the cooperation of the French to stop them crossing to ‘our’ side of the border.
We also don’t need the EUSSR immigration laws to tell us that we can’t repatriate them to place of origin if they get here.As is the case now under EUCHR enforcement.
Why send em back to France so that they can try again.
Why does France put transit camps on the channel coast with obvious intent.Rather than repatriate the illegal immigrant invasion.

Franglais:
So: But if you click through onto the “news” stories be aware it may not be the truth, and even if it is, it`ll be slanted heavily one way.

Yes absolutely it’ll be lies or slanted McMoron’s way.The same one who rigged an election to sell out Europe to his Stasi boss and her boss.
Tell us more about Macron’s ‘world governance’ agenda.
No surprise that won’t be reported in any French news reports either.

xinhuanet.com/english/2019-0 … 925591.htm

Carryfast:

Franglais:
So: But if you click through onto the “news” stories be aware it may not be the truth, and even if it is, it`ll be slanted heavily one way.

Yes absolutely it’ll be lies or slanted McMoron’s way.The same one who rigged an election to sell out Europe to his Stasi boss and her boss.
Tell us more about Macron’s ‘world governance’ agenda.
No surprise that won’t be reported in any French news reports either.

xinhuanet.com/english/2019-0 … 925591.htm

I agree it’s unlikely that meeting will be in the French press this week.

Nor will many other events from March 2019.