The Carryfast engine design discussion

[zb]
anorak:

Carryfast:
Remind me why Ford ditched Jaguar.

Errrr… Dunno. Was it because Tata thought they could do a better job of it than Ford, and Ford agreed?

Carryfast:
Oh wait.Lost sales of those who rightly thought that a V6 and a V8 has no place in a Jaguar.Jaguars should only have multiples of inline 6 and nothing under 4 litres.
theguardian.com/business/200 … y.motoring

The Honda V6 would have been a good choice for the XJ6. What is the advantage of a 12 cylinder engine over a V8? I guess smaller cylinders mean a shorter stroke, so smoother running at high RPM. Go on then- I’ll take one.

Carryfast:
You really think that the ugly live axle hatchback SD1 followed by the even worse front drive 800 were in any way BMW 5 series competitors.Remind me what happened to the SD1 and 800 v 5 series.Since when were Citroen and FIAT etc premium brands.

Why was the Rover 600/75 not a hatchback like the SD1 and 800.Effectively a return to 3 box styling followed by an even more desperate heroic attempt to return to the rear wheel drive V8 configuration by converting the 75 at too much cost unfortunately.

You are still making the mistake of thinking the SD1 was “ugly”. Everyone else says it is very stylish. It was a direct competitor to the 5 series- check the figures. Citroens have far superior engineering to any of those old British clunkers.

Carryfast:
In what way was the 1970 introduced Triumph Mk2 saloon ‘outdated’ by 1975 when the 1972 introduced 5 series was just getting its 6 cylinder options in 1977.It did everything its 5 series competitor could do with more room and superior rack and pinion steering with an estate option.It just needed the Rover V8 option in it together with the updated Triumph designed 2.3 and 2.6 engines.I know there wasn’t a V8 version of the the Triumph 2.5 because Edwardes didn’t want there to be.

The Triumph Mk2 was a mild update of the 1963 one. They rolled and wallowed like tugboats in storms, had asthmatic engines and looked horrible. Those early 5 series BMWs were the business- massively superior, in every way. I nearly bought a 528 (Would have meant blowing my student grant in one hit. I was overcome by common sense at the wrong moment, and invested it in beer instead). On the test drive, I thought it had really good steering. So what if Top Trumps says an obsolete British old man’s car has better steering?

Carryfast:
You seem to have problems with differentiating an estate from a hatchback design.Here’s a clue the 3 and 5 series tourers were always better premium sellers than any Rover hatchback ever was.But the executive sector rarely likes to travel with its luggage.
You seem to have no class when it comes to your taste in motors or the correct demands of the premium/performance brand clientele…

HAhaha!! Have you got sales figures to back that lot up? I bet not.

Carryfast:
Also no one seemed to be listening when you told them that there was nothing wrong with the TL12 at 38t gross it just needs the intercooler upgrade coming soon it’ll be fine.

Did you actually read the article regarding the losses incurred by Jaguar under Ford.
Yeah right ditch the Ford V6 and small V8 and put a Honda V6 in it instead that’ll have the customers rushing back from the nearest BMW or Merc dealers offering the choice of proper inline 6 to V12.A 6 litre V12 has the same volume cylinders as Ford’s 4 litre V8 which started the damage together with the pathetic V6’s.While 33% more cylinders with around 10% less stroke is obviously a win.Also no problem to fit an even larger 84mm stroke crankshaft in the Jag V12 block either.Which is how Jaguar won Le Mans with an NA engine v forced induction competition.So Ford ( Germany ) said no more Jag V12’s that would obviously upset the BMW and Merc kameraden.

How was BMW’s semi trailing arm IRS and McPherson front with steering box supposedly massively superior in every way to Triumph’s semi trailing arm IRS McPherson front with rack and pinion.All the around 2.5 litre 6 cylinder engines in the day were asthmatic at best BMW’s M30 in 2.5 litre form not being significantly better than the pushrod Triumph 2.5 .So why wouldn’t you want to put the Rover V8 in it unless you wanted to help BMW.

So you like Citroens, you think a V12 isn’t superior to a V8.You think the same chassis spec with inferior steering is massively better so long as it has a BMW badge and you think the TL12 would have been ok at 38t gross so long as you can find somewhere to put the extra head fasteners and customers don’t mind almost AEC V8 type end bearing wear.Keep going.