Class 1 should I go for it?

Hi guys new member here and this is my first post on the site!

I passed my Class 2 in 2015 a few months after I found another job not driving HGV and I’m still working in that job.
After recently renewing my CPC I have started to think about doing my Class 1 license and I’ve had the quotes from the training provider and could do it at the end of November if I wanted to.
The only doubt about going for it is that it has been 5 years since I done class 2 and I never got much experience there before doing the job I’m in now. But on the other hand I do drive the Terberg at work shunting about the yard so I’m actually used to the size and reversing etc albeit in a Terberg and not a proper Tractor unit.
Should I just go for it with such a big gap between tests and not much on road driving experience between?

Bear in mind that the business of going for C before CE has only been with us for just over 20 years. Prior to that, folks invariably trained on an artic. And, to make it more interesting, some of them couldn’t drive a car!

In other words, fret not. If you want to do it, get it done.

Take care, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Cheers for the reply Pete that’s what I’m thinking just go for it.
The training centre is helping me do it around work doing 16hrs training over a Saturday- Sunday with the test on Wednesday so that’ll be two 8hr days one on one with the trainer.
Would just like the Class one in my back pocket as we live in uncertain times and you never know what’s round the corner in current job.

Do it

Class 2 is [zb] anyway lol

I got my motorbike licence in 2017 , still not used it :frowning:

Will be better to have it and not use it right off, and having shunting experience means at least the scary reversing when you start out won’t bother you so much

SquireT:
Will be better to have it and not use it right off, and having shunting experience means at least the scary reversing when you start out won’t bother you so much

Back in the 80s when you could go direct from car to the old HGV class 1 (now CE) I did one year on nights shunting artics in a yard before going for training & test
It helped so much that my fellow trainee had 95% of the reversing time