Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Lawrence Dunbar:

oiltreader:

pv83:

oiltreader:
Eyecatcher, all credit to Rab Lawrence for the photo.
Oily

Is that an example of what the youngsters would call “old school/skool” Oily? :wink:

Hi Patrick, “youngsters” or todays cabmen would have little in common with old skool and I don’t mean that in a derogatory way. Supervision was nil compared to all the electronic communication and surveillance there is today. My time on lorries was cartransporters which compared to general haulage was a doddle, for myself a typical day would have been a 5.00am start, a stop for breakfast, sausage, bacon, egg, tomato ,fried slice, mug of tea and couple of buttered slices(drool if you want :laughing: ), that would sometimes get you a second cuppa for nowt and kept me going all day. No compulsory breaks or driving limit hours, if there was they went unheeded. Night out money was thirty one shillings and and sixpence which could be subbed before setting off, I also had in pocket an extra fiver just in case. The old skool cameraderie among lorry men meant help was always at hand if needed, changing our own punctures, also minor repairs on route, finding digs and loads without a cell phone, a cab heater was a coat :laughing:, a windscreen washer was a squirty bottle . I could go on but enough ramble other than there is no comparison of then and now. I look back and it was without doubt the best time of my life :smiley: I would do it again :smiley:
Oily

Me too. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

Can I join this club? I can relate to all that has been said. One of the worst things about the pre mobile phone days was a) finding a public call box that actually worked, an b) getting a pocket full of change to feed the aforementioned call box.
And you would put an extra few miles in to get to your favourite digs. Mrs Riley, Berwick on Tweed, spotlessly clean, top class food, what a woman, what a place, fabulous. :slight_smile:
And if you didn’t ‘respect’ the place and Mrs Riley…don’t bother ringing again.