Any old promotor drivers around

I have taken my 1943 Willys Jeep -as rebuilt by yours truly some 35 years ago - out of the garage as the young master is aged 16 and is interested in it and we are grateful as parents that this is displaying an interest in something other than the PC…

I have a close friend who owns a large field near Tunbridge Wells where he keeps his own fleet of Jeeps and, on Sundays, meets up with a handful of friends - a women free zone - for a small BBQ , a sausage roll, cuppa, beer and natter. He invited me over to meet a chum of his who could do a bit of welding on the Jeep called Bill Harbour (sp?) (welding now sadly necessary). How it came round the subject I don’t know but Bill, whom I’d never met before, suddenly announced he’d worked for Promotor for a while! He’d previously been working as a body shop repairman in Tun Wells and for Tom Miles had repaired a Scania with a bent door pillar (which was probably mine when the ferry nearly fell over and all the lorries fell over - one on top of my unit).

He worked out of Longfield Rd for a while and then moved to the depot in Essex when the Ford work started. Sadly he did a job for Ford filming and fell out with PM because the film people had unrealistic ideas about driving hours and said PM should have had 2 drivers etc. He was rather fed up with PM after that and left.