So why Trucking?

'at’s a good question. I had to sit back and think about it.

I never WANTED to drive a truck. I was kinda herded that way.

Joined the Army at 15, 1972, did 2 years training. Did some technical quals and, as a reward for doing well, was put on a driving course.
Passed me car licence 2 months after me 17th birthday.

Ok, no biggie, never been THAT bothered about it but it was nice to have.
Joined me Regiment in '74.

December 1976, been kicked around the world a few times, done some stuff, back in camp.
MT Sgt, Taffy, asked if I wanted to do the HGV 2 course coming up.
Yep, fine, whatever, I’m in.

He was a newly qualified tester and I think he was flexing his muscles. Wanted to run/operate/control a course to show that he could.
I’m wasn’t over the moon about it, nor was I against it. It was just another one of those things the Army did. You, do this.

Passed me Class 2 on a AEC flatbed 10 tonner. 6 forward gears, no synchromesh, and no power steering.
Yeah, quite proud of meself.
Still not THAT bothered, though.

Until…I got out of the Army in 78 and found out that my highly prized Advanced Army Surveyor, Advanced Signaller, Advanced Driver qualifications were effin useless in civvy street!

Wagons it is, then.

Drove lorries, removals (Hard work)
Slaughterhouse waste skips (God awful work)
Concrete Mixer (Best job ever)

Then binned it all and became a professional guitarist and singer for the next 30 years.
Did ok, living in SPain, credit crunch kicked in, over the next 10 years lost all me work, came back to UK to sign on :slight_smile:
No skillz.
well apart from knowing the phonetic alphabet backwards and the ability to teach you map reading?
No.

Lovely lady at the job centre, mentioned a CPC (Cos I’d mentioned me class 2) and would I like to go on it?
Sigh Yes, I’m in.
Learned a load from the other drivers, and ended up driving 7.5s.
DVLA won’t give me my Class 2 back because
“Although we now accept that you did pass your Cat C test in 1976, we decline to renew your entitlement because, in 1986, you failed to replace the old style licence with the new one”
Ok, paraphrased, but that’s what they said.

Still got Grandfather rights on C1 though, right?

Did a shed load of agency work, then JL for 15 months, then moved to a veh rec firm (Excellent firm, awesome workmates)
Still there now, on the AA contract.

Did I ever WANT to be a lorry driver?
No.

Am I happy that I am now a lorry driver?
No.