"Heavy Haulage through the years"

DIG:

newmercman:

pv83:

newmercman:
I did do something different actually, not very interesting as it was a only reel of rubber conveyor belt, but it was a 36,000kg reel, so a bit out of the ordinary. I loaded it in the Port of Tacoma and delivered it via Vancouver to Edmonton for onward delivery to the Oil Sands in Fort McKay, Alberta. The chap in the crane put it exactly where I wanted it first time and when I ran it over the scale it was nicely balanced with just over a hundred kgs difference between my trailer axles and the drive axles plus jeep, that’s always a good start to the week.

With such a weight, does that mean you’re back on the old national roads again instead of using the Interstate network?

Not this time, I came out of the port straight onto the Interstate, then took the most direct route to the delivery. No restrictions at all on this one and that makes a big change.

Belting rolls of that weight really test the trailers calibre NMM I see the outer bases are quite short on that roll frame we used to put timbers under the belt roll to spread the load as much as possible down the main frame rails,some of our country roads have a lot of camber and that would have you taking a firm grip on the seat as well as the steering wheel. :laughing: :laughing:
Dig

NMM this is the type of floats I worked with,in the 1980s we were using units with wire rope suspensions,I have tried with no success to find a photo or drawing of one but I will keep trying they worked well on in field rig moves we put some ungodly weights on them with no problems.
Dig