Any old promotor drivers around

Algiers Fair 87. I mentioned the Hotel Albert (pronounced Al bear) in my previous posts. As I said it didn’t have a lot going for it. Get back from a hard day at the fair to find very little water coming out of the taps and what little there was would be cold. The only things we didn’t have, unlike the old hotels in Baghdad, were cockroaches. The view from your room was of the buildings across the street unless you were on the north western side then you could see down to the port.

As for entertainment in the evening, that was almost non existent nearby and would mean eating in the hotel restaurant, not something to write home about. I remember when Bryan and Andy were there we had a taxi to take us to a restaurant that someone at the fair said was good. Andy the Kiwi ordered lamb chops and asked to look at them before ordering. Bryan and I were wondering what the idea was but as soon as Andy saw the size of them he ordered a dozen. Thats when the penny dropped and we also ordered extra. Must admit it was a good meal.

However, when Bryan and Andy returned home I switched hotels and ended up in the one Dave Stagg was staying in. Although he used to stay in the Albert in the early days he had managed to upgrade his accommodation in later years. You only have to look at the last couple of photos to understand why I was so miffed at being put up in the Albert whilst Staggie bagged this super hotel for himself.