Ethics/legality of lane straddling when approaching r'abouts

AndieHyde:

Juddian:

Well my friend, I fit into the category you mentioned above.
I , as a ex lorry driver, still use the skills of anticipation learned from navigating a 40 tonne truck through the narrowest and chaotic streets of Europe and the republic of Londonistan, looking forward in advance as to how much room the outfit I am sharing the road with, is going to need in order to complete the maneuver it is attempting.
I do it also for buses as it is a regulation in the UK highway code.

I realise this is coming over all JakeySnakey, but certainly the modern brigade dont seem to even recognize what you have just done for them,
You expect other drivers to cut you up to buggery and act accordingly, so when another road user doesn’t do this, it is in my experience, a grey haired old fellow that gives a cheery wave and a reality that not every other road user is a [zb].
Every other rat in the race doesn’t realize that even if they win, they are still a fricken rat.

Greeting’s friend and fellow knight of the road (that might be pushing it maybe :laughing: well in my case for sure), you can spot a professional road user as they approach, road positioning smoothness anticipation useful signalling etc, i offer you that cheery wave in salute.
And yes, when i am in a car and allow a lorry to, for instance, straighten a roundabout (benefitting both of us), only every now and again will there be a wave of thanks…maybe if they sent young lads out to run alongside the few remaining grizzled old sods to learn the ropes as they used to we might see a return to that taken for granted cooperation that used to be part of driving…yeah i know dream on :neutral_face: