Question For Agency Drivers

Rjan:
But I haven’t quoted from such a section. The link I give refers to “employment intermediaries”.

The practical effect seems to be that only those in continuous employment with a permanent workplace, can claim travel expenses for travel to a temporary workplace which is different from that permanent workplace.

For those who work casually by the day, the actual workplace is always the permanent workplace. It is only their employment which is temporary - the workplace they must attend under that temporary employment, is a permanent workplace (i.e. permanent for the duration of the employment).

gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manual … al/esm5590

Just to be clear I am not “claiming expenses”, I am claiming tax relief on travel and subsistence costs. I pay the costs myself. I am also not working through an employment intermediary, but for an employment business under a contract for services, so the changes made in 2016 are not relevant to the situation I am talking about. As I have said, I have explained the way I see it for a specific situation. Other situations exist and you can seek clarification from HMRC if you wish as it is a reasonably complex area. The examples do all seem to talk about contracts lasting x number of weeks or months. There are no examples of single days that I have read so far. I have claimed without issue for a few years as I have said. I am not hiding anything I am just telling it the way it is.