Ethics/legality of lane straddling when approaching r'abouts

In the UK we have a novel way of identifying roundabouts, yes, there are road signs, chevrons, road markings and helpful direction signs. They have one other thing too, Street Lights.

Now if I was Jeremy Clarkson and a question about roundabouts came up on Millionaire, this would be my answer.

All or the majority of roundabouts in the UK are lit by street lamps. Street Lamps mean the speed limit is 30mph unless posted otherwise.

So we have a major road intersecting a minor road but the major road is my 3rd exit. The speed limit to me would be 30mph as that is the limit on the minor road shown by repeater signals, plus the street lights.

So my vehicle is approaching the roundabout in the right hand lane of a dual carriageway to “turn right” The road I am on is a dual carriageway so I can do NSL.

Part of my judging role as a professional driver would be to either; (A) get round the roundabout slowly & safely, or (B) get round it at the NSL.

I would argue the speed limit on the roundabout is 30mph although I wouldn’t advocate looking at the speedo or make that the target speed.

Final Answer! :stuck_out_tongue: