Ethics/legality of lane straddling when approaching r'abouts

thehighlandscot:
I always indicate out to straddle two lanes about 50 yards or so out from the roundabout if it looks too tight. At the end of the day you can’t be penalised for using the amount of road you think is necessary to safely make the manoeuvre, and if it happens that you think you probably could have made it when going round then no big deal. As you say it’s only added seconds on to the person who’s behind yous day and there car potentially stays on the road to live another day.

If had people go as far as driving along the pavement to get past me on some occasions. The only negative outcome would be if said prick decided to still squeeze past you and then inevitably get himself clipped. But then that’s his problem (especially if your fitted with those annoying cameras) as you’ve made your intention clear.

Better safe than sorry I say

That happens a lot in the usual suspect areas where there’s a lot of impatient drivers, and due to the lanes being wide enough on approach but not in the left turn into the roundabout (or on the roundabout itself) it’s quite common to have them cut down the side even though you’re straddling the lanes. Though as you point out the intentions you have are clear as you have positioned yourself because you may need the extra room.

On a traffic light junction with a right turn lane (as an afterthought probably) just about big enough for a motorbike I took both lanes and I too had someone ram their car up the grass verge (we are talking half the car width here, not just a foot or so) to try to squeeze past. Unfortunately they couldn’t get far as they’d misjudged how tight it would be getting past the railings for the pedestrian crossing. With the side of their car inches from the back axle area of my trailer, I ended up stuck as I needed to turn quite sharp (hence why I needed both lanes) and couldn’t do so without wiping out the side of the car. Much blaring of horns from cars behind and eventually he/she reversed back out again.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk