A question about Bedford TK

Hi there,

I am a guy from Turkey who really admires the Bedford TK since his childhood, the main reasons for being so are the overall apperance and the unique engine sound of those Bedfords. A few years ago I watched some videos of Bedfords at the UK and I was quite confused as they do not sound like the ones I used to see in Turkey. Then I wondered if they used a different engine for the ones that were assembled in Turkey and even asked to Vauxhall if they have any information about that but they could not really help.

The Turkish distributor of Bedford trucks was defunct before I was born so there were very little information on my end until a few days ago I found a brochure that was released in Turkey at 1970s, there it says the engine is called “220 diesel.” Then I took a look at some pictures of that engine online and confirmed that this is the exactly same engine a Turkey based Bedford TK uses. Though I watched some videos of that engine and it doesn’t sound like I used to hear, again. So the engines were the same, but the sounds are different. Lastly, I talked with a guy in Turkey and he said that it could be caused by different injection pumps used. But I want to be sure and finally know the truth (lol) so if anyone knows about Bedford TKs, their story (for example if they used different parts for Turkish models), or have an idea why the engines sound different, please share your opinions.

Thanks a lot.

bedfordlover:
Hi there,

I am a guy from Turkey who really admires the Bedford TK since his childhood, the main reasons for being so are the overall apperance and the unique engine sound of those Bedfords. A few years ago I watched some videos of Bedfords at the UK and I was quite confused as they do not sound like the ones I used to see in Turkey. Then I wondered if they used a different engine for the ones that were assembled in Turkey and even asked to Vauxhall if they have any information about that but they could not really help.

The Turkish distributor of Bedford trucks was defunct before I was born so there were very little information on my end until a few days ago I found a brochure that was released in Turkey at 1970s, there it says the engine is called “220 diesel.” Then I took a look at some pictures of that engine online and confirmed that this is the exactly same engine a Turkey based Bedford TK uses. Though I watched some videos of that engine and it doesn’t sound like I used to hear, again. So the engines were the same, but the sounds are different. Lastly, I talked with a guy in Turkey and he said that it could be caused by different injection pumps used. But I want to be sure and finally know the truth (lol) so if anyone knows about Bedford TKs, their story (for example if they used different parts for Turkish models), or have an idea why the engines sound different, please share your opinions.

Thanks a lot.

Are you sure you’re not mistaking hearing Detroit powered KM for TK ?.
youtube.com/watch?v=NWbwH8r-WiE

Heres some information on the different TK engine options.

Click on pages twice to read.

The TK Bedford was a range of models for various gross weights fitted with a variety of engines during the lifetime of its production. Most models within a weight range offered a limited choice of alternative options. The mid '70s Bedford specification book of alternative engine, gearbox, axle and chassis configuration details was about 2 inches thick. It was a developing range so the earliest offerings were not necessarily available at the end of production nor were all offered at the same time. TK production continued for a while after its replacement, similar looking, TL model was introduced.

Apart from the noise of different engine models, the air filtration, exhaust system, fuel injection equipment and transmission have an effect on what is heard. It is also common for two identical vehicles to sound different. Sadly memory plays a trick or two as well. Probably the most commonly associated with the TK are the 220D, 330D and 466D.

Four cylinder engines fitted were: 200D, became 220D, became Red Series 3.6 litreTurbo, all diesel engines for the lightest models, there was also a petrol 200P. These for gross weights up to about 10 tons

Six cylinder engines Petrol 300P and diesels 300D, became 330D became Red series 5.4 litre turbo for gross weights up to about 12tons. The larger capacity six cylinder 381D became 466D became 500D which became eventually the 8.2 litre Blue series all for gross weights over 10 tons. There was some limited overlapping of options between weight ranges.

Bedford also fitted the Leyland 350, 375 and its development 400 diesel engine into these heavier models before it developed its own 381 and 466 engines and offered the Perkins 4.236 and 6.354 engines in the earlier years of production.

The heaviest TK tractor unit offered featured a Detroit 6V71 engine.

The earlier 200 series four cylinder engines had pneumatic governors so would sound different to the later 220’s as they had the Minimec pumps with mechanical governors. They were also different mechanically (those long head studs on the early models that were in the water jacket and corroded away! :smiling_imp: ) but looked basically similar from the outside.

Pete.

Thanks a lot for those replies. Today I came up with some more details, including 2 videos and some pictures.

Some details from the brochure:
Engine power: 74 hp
Fuel pump: Simms
Loaded weight: 5690 kg (about 12550 pounds)
Tires: 7.50 x 16

A video where that sound is audible - though this one recently had a restoration and sounds a bit denser
drive.google.com/file/d/108_pMK … sp=sharing

In this one the sound is higher pitched and exactly the same as I mentioned
drive.google.com/file/d/1u-k3LX … sp=sharing

Lastly, I managed to find the engine serial number of a Turkey based Bedford, it is “861657”

Can we confirm that the engine is indeed Bedford 220? If so what could be the main reason for Turkey-assembled TKs to sound that different?

IMG_8397e.png

IMG_8336e.jpg

Carryfast:

bedfordlover:
Hi there,

Thanks a lot.

Trust you “CF” to stick your totally irrelevant “two Penarth” in although luckily the Turkish lad would probably “clock” you as an ■■■■■■■■ ! :unamused: :open_mouth: :blush: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Bewick

Bewick:

Carryfast:

bedfordlover:
Hi there,

Thanks a lot.

Trust you “CF” to stick your totally irrelevant “two Penarth” in although luckily the Turkish lad would probably “clock” you as an [zb] ! :unamused: :open_mouth: :blush: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Bewick

But he does have a point.

Dipster:

Bewick:

Carryfast:

Trust you “CF” to stick your totally irrelevant “two Penarth” in although luckily the Turkish lad would probably “clock” you as an [zb] ! :unamused: :open_mouth: :blush: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Bewick

But he does have a point.

Bewick is just ■■■■■■ off because GM had the sense not to put his Gardner boat anchors in it. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Well IMO, The Bedford T K Range was well named T K . Total Knackers Motor, The S Type was a far better motor IMO, I drove a TK Artic Scammell coupling trailer, It had the Bedford 300 engine, It was a total waste of time it was bother from day one, My boss Jonny Baxter was sick of them as he Had three, They were all bother, In fact they just about skint him, He did move on & got a couple of ERFs Then Dodges, I got the first new Dodge with a tilt cab JTN 222 D. It was a good bit of gear, I used to do three trips a week to West Thurrock loaded both ways, Of course the Load was Tote Bins full of soap chips, When I was tipped they reloaded me with MTs, So it was a good return trip, A good earner of course for me & Good Old Jonny Baxter, He was a real nice bloke to work for, The good old days, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Well IMO, The Bedford T K Range was well named T K . Total Knackers Motor, The S Type was a far better motor IMO, I drove a TK Artic Scammell coupling trailer, It had the Bedford 300 engine, It was a total waste of time it was bother from day one, My boss Jonny Baxter was sick of them as he Had three, They were all bother, In fact they just about skint him, He did move on & got a couple of ERFs Then Dodges, I got the first new Dodge with a tilt cab JTN 222 D. It was a good bit of gear, I used to do three trips a week to West Thurrock loaded both ways, Of course the Load was Tote Bins full of soap chips, When I was tipped they reloaded me with MTs, So it was a good return trip, A good earner of course for me & Good Old Jonny Baxter, He was a real nice bloke to work for, The good old days, Regards Larry.

I absolutely hated the TK.Hateful pice of retrograde junk everything from the driving position, to useless brakes to the evil low geared steering.The engine was the least of its issues.
The bonneted Leyland WF was a far far better motor.
Can only hope that the KM was something better and safer than a TK with a decent motor in it. :open_mouth:

I can’t see the red engine fuel pump clearly, but it is possibly a SImms. The black and white one has a CAV pneumatic governor which matches the sound of the first video idling with a distinctive hunting common to pneumatic governors. The second video sounds more like a six cylinder 330D than a 220D. Unusual to see a small TK with power steering.

My memories of Bedford TK lorries during my travels across Turkey is of straight-through exhaust pipes and clouds of black smoke. Totally overloaded tag-axled 6 wheelers holding up traffic on the hills and screaming motors with smoking brakes on the down-grades. An endless mind-numbing drone only punctuated by the bang of a blown-out tyre.

cav551:
I can’t see the red engine fuel pump clearly, but it is possibly a SImms. The black and white one has a CAV pneumatic governor which matches the sound of the first video idling with a distinctive hunting common to pneumatic governors. The second video sounds more like a six cylinder 330D than a 220D. Unusual to see a small TK with power steering.

That very last bit as he applies load on the engine sounds like just the same nasty 4 cylinder as the first and the TJ’s we had on the council.A silly four cylinder motor in a truck Bedford’s designers seem to have totally lost the plot.

cav551:

Thanks for the answer. So can we say that the engine is probably 220 diesel with different governor and/or fuel pump used? If so, does that basically mean that if we attach those parts to the English TKs they would sound the same as the ones in the videos?

My memories of my 1972 TK (KCC) originally had a Chev 6 Cyl petrol which was converted to a 253 V8 Holden which had a nice "purr " when running … I know that Bedford down here in Australia produced a TK fitted with a 308 Holden V8 (Chev) which were quite popular but I suspect that there were numerous combinations … I think with these smaller models with the GVM of 7.5 Tons all had the typical 4 speed box with a gear lever that swiveled all over the place …I loved my little TK

backsplice:
My memories of my 1972 TK (KCC) originally had a Chev 6 Cyl petrol which was converted to a 253 V8 Holden which had a nice "purr " when running … I know that Bedford down here in Australia produced a TK fitted with a 308 Holden V8 (Chev) which were quite popular but I suspect that there were numerous combinations … I think with these smaller models with the GVM of 7.5 Tons all had the typical 4 speed box with a gear lever that swiveled all over the place …I loved my little TK

Looks indeed so sweet.

Genoto TK.jpg

> ChrisArbon:
> My memories of Bedford TK lorries during my travels across Turkey is of straight-through exhaust pipes and clouds of black smoke. Totally overloaded tag-axled 6 wheelers holding up traffic on the hills and screaming motors with smoking brakes on the down-grades. An endless mind-numbing drone only punctuated by the bang of a blown-out tyre.

I think this nails it, I’m pretty sure the pump settings were changed hence the black smoke and they sure worked them hard, but they kept going and were very, very common.

Carryfast:

Lawrence Dunbar:

I absolutely hated the TK.Hateful pice of retrograde junk everything from the driving position, to useless brakes to the evil low geared steering.The engine was the least of its issues.
The bonneted Leyland WF was a far far better motor.
Can only hope that the KM was something better and safer than a TK with a decent motor in it. :shock:

Lucky you, our KMs were fitted with bird scarers (6-53). I’ve never seen a Bedford with a Gardiner.