Returning to HGV Driving

Peter Smythe:
Hi, and welcome to the forum. I haven’t heard about the licence renewal as you describe it. Normally, you would have a medical, complete the D2 and your licence will be re-issued. Medicals are easy enough to get now.

You will need to complete 35 hours of driver cpc. This is normally 5 x 7 hr sessions held in a classroom. Online options are available temporarily due to COVID. Classrooms are open again. (For me, I’ve rented a church hall to ensure 2m social distancing).

I would also recommend a refresher course. Things have changed drastically with vehicles over the last 30 years.

Let me know if I can help further, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for the reply. I was surprised today, firstly at successfully getting through to DVLA but secondly when the DVAL rep told me just return the D2 for now. I think it is due to current COVID situation although I thought this would only affect those drivers who’s licences expired or due to expire this year. I did tell her my HGV expired 10 years ago as I did not take the medical.

All that said I will take the medical. I can book one on line as early as next weekend at avenue less than a mile from my home. As to the advice to do some refresher driving, I had planned this as I would be nervous at jumping back into the cab without some refresher. As to the CPC is there the option of fast tracking, ie signing up to a course that does all the modules within a short time period?