Am I being stupid?

Hi
Although I cant advise you on the practical elements of getting your HGV, I can empathise with your current position. I too work in a very challenging and stressful environment. It is not a MH setting but I come across the same people you will meet in your role and sadly some of the tragedies you will have come across.

I am 56 and can retire in 4 years on a good pension. I earn a very good salary but that comes with a huge weight of responsibility on my shoulders.
Whilst I knew that when I progressed up the promotion ladder, the pressures and stresses are relentless and I am now considering calling it a day rather than allow the job to break me before I retire.Sadly I have seen friends and colleagues not reach their retirement and I dont want to become one of those stats.

I am fortunate that I have a reasonable enough pension to allow me to retire now albeit my pension will be less by going 4 years early. However I dont want to stop working altogether .I want to still work and I am looking at returning to driving for a few years.

If I could give any advice it would be dont regret not making the decision. As a MH nurse, if the HGV driving does not work out, you would have something to fall back on. My daughter is a MH nurse and I know when she started there was a massive shortage and she had a pick of offers once she graduated. I dont think the situation has changed much.

As to salary, yes driving is unlikely to give you the possibilities you could get if you progressed in your current role. However you have to consider that against the stress of your current job and if you are happy to take a drop to improve your own mental well-being. You do an amazing job but at what cost.

Good luck with your decision.