Returning to HGV Driving

Hi.
This is my first post as a newbie to the site.
I am hoping that someone can give me a bit of advice on returning to HGV driving. I passed my HGV1 back in the 80,s and for a period drove HGV’s when I left the army. I then packed in driving to follow a new career and I have not driven HGV’s for 30 years.

I am due to retire from my current job in 4 years when I reach 60. However for reasons I wont go into too much, I am considering leaving my current job in the near future as I am able to retire any time after 55 and I have amassed a reasonable pension.
Although I am ready to leave my current job I would like to continue working either PT or FT.

I have seen numerous driving jobs on line and I did enjoy my time on the road.
I managed to get through to DVLA today to check whether my licence could be re-issued. As I was not driving I did not go for the medical at 45 and my HGV has dropped off my licence.
DVLA have told me I can apply to have the licence re-instated by completing the D2 form. I dont need to do the D4 straight away. I think they are re-instating with a 12 month licence due to COVID.

I will of course have the medical and send in the D4 in the near future as I would like to drive in some capacity for a few more years before fully retiring. So that was a bit of the history.

So my question is around the CPC and tacho. I think I apply for the tacho card once I have my licence. However not fully clear on the CPC bit . I have tried to read lots but I,m still not fully clear of where I stand.
I believe I have something called reserved rights but I would be grateful for some help on where this leaves me with regards to when I can drive again or what parts of the CPC I need to do before I can return to the cab.

Hi, and welcome to the forum. I haven’t heard about the licence renewal as you describe it. Normally, you would have a medical, complete the D2 and your licence will be re-issued. Medicals are easy enough to get now.

You will need to complete 35 hours of driver cpc. This is normally 5 x 7 hr sessions held in a classroom. Online options are available temporarily due to COVID. Classrooms are open again. (For me, I’ve rented a church hall to ensure 2m social distancing).

I would also recommend a refresher course. Things have changed drastically with vehicles over the last 30 years.

Let me know if I can help further, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
Hi, and welcome to the forum. I haven’t heard about the licence renewal as you describe it. Normally, you would have a medical, complete the D2 and your licence will be re-issued. Medicals are easy enough to get now.

You will need to complete 35 hours of driver cpc. This is normally 5 x 7 hr sessions held in a classroom. Online options are available temporarily due to COVID. Classrooms are open again. (For me, I’ve rented a church hall to ensure 2m social distancing).

I would also recommend a refresher course. Things have changed drastically with vehicles over the last 30 years.

Let me know if I can help further, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for the reply. I was surprised today, firstly at successfully getting through to DVLA but secondly when the DVAL rep told me just return the D2 for now. I think it is due to current COVID situation although I thought this would only affect those drivers who’s licences expired or due to expire this year. I did tell her my HGV expired 10 years ago as I did not take the medical.

All that said I will take the medical. I can book one on line as early as next weekend at avenue less than a mile from my home. As to the advice to do some refresher driving, I had planned this as I would be nervous at jumping back into the cab without some refresher. As to the CPC is there the option of fast tracking, ie signing up to a course that does all the modules within a short time period?

Hi again

Having spent the weekend trawling through the internet trying to get up to speed with all the changes to HGV driving in the past few years, am I right in thinking I have no tests to take as I already have the HGV licence. I have been looking at sample theory and perception tests only to realise that these need to be done before the driving test itself. As I have the licence am I right that I just need to do the CPC. I don’t use the word “just” lightly as I believe it is 35 hours of classroom (currently online) training.

You need to complete cpc 35 hours. You have the choice of online or “real”.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Have covid restrictions been lifted to allow real classroom training and if so is virtual access to the course still an option.Thanks

You need to complete cpc 35 hours. You have the choice of online or “real”.

I’m a bit different to you, I actually got my hgv licence in 2007 as a resettlement course when I left the army. I never actually did the job for a living.
Also I only did 6 years in the army.
I joined a national bus company in 2013 but am looking to move over on hgvs. If it comes to it ,I’ll do a refresher course. I also never used a tacho.

Depending on where you are, some companies might take you on and give you training including the cpc. Otherwise do it yourself and atleast you have that bit done.

You will need to apply for a taco card as well. You can do that now.

Thanks everyone for all the good advice. I have filled in the form for the tacho card which I will post in next few days. As per my first post, I posted my D2 form 8 days ago and have checked the online licence check and today they have reinstated my HGV licence. I have 12 months which will give me some time to get medical done and decide exactly what I want to do .

I can get CPC booked, a couple of days of refresher training and then all being well look at signing up with an agency initially. I wont lie, I am a little nervous but I sure the confidence will come once i get back in the cab. Big step up from towing my caravan for the past few years.

On another note, if I chose to have a go at some coach or bus driving, will I have to do a separate bus driving test or will the CE cover it?

This was Me also …

I got back in an artic for the first time in 15 years last week.

Mostly it’s ok, but it seems time off has stolen my reversing skills !!!

Good luck to all who are returning. It’s tougher than we remember !!

Good luck with returning to HGV driving. Have you gone into a permanent job or have you gone through agency. As to the reversing that’s my biggest concern although I am sure eventually I’ll et back into the sing. Mind you going on the way I reversed my caravan back on the drive today, it may take some time. I plan to do a few refresher days with a training school.